The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture & DMR

gero

I've desided to use Aperture as my main file organizer. It is now able to import my DMR files as well as M8.

Is anybody eals using it for the DMR?

overgaarcom

I stopped using it when it made highlight appear in funny colors. Has something changed since I tried it (some weeks ago)?

gero

I find the same thing with some files but I still use it to organize the files and when I need one that doesn't have the colors in the highlights, I use it straight out of aperture. If I need to work in a specific file that has the problen; I work with it in C1. I can do this since the master files are not altered by aperture so I still have the original.
It is ocuartd but that is how I work because I also have the M8 files and I can organize a lot of files without the machine being slow.

There is some more info about this in this thred.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica...9-aperture-supports-dmr-files.html#post580555

overgaarcom

Thanks for clarifying that Gero.

I use Lightroom to preview my photos and FlexColor to finalize the files. Unfortunately the new Hasselblad Phocus does not support DMR :-(

robsteve

Subscriber
Phocus will work with DMR files. Just import them into Flexcolor and then open that scratch directory with the 3f files using Phocus.

Robert

overgaarcom

Thanks Robert,

Thanks for that information. It will be interesting to see how works. Just tested the sharpness and moire features which turned out in this one. Will have to look at adjustment features though.

This is optimized sharpness and without moire handling:

This is optimized sharpness AND moire handling. In 100% there's a lot of noise but in this size, one may only notice that for example the eyes are a bit dull. One should only use moire in the certain places, and I guess the sharpening on top of it spoils it. But it actually works in this web-edition:

And here is the original one that was done a few days ago via FlexColor and PS, with an additional action that sharpens the lightest layer:

Last edited:

EH21

The moire handling turned his eyes from blue to brown!

Used phocus yesterday for the first time on my DMR files - hard to see the improvements over flexcolor on first glance - may have to work with it more.

overgaarcom

It actually rasterizes the eyes if you blow the photo to 100% - very clearly to see. Then again, I just gave the whole picture 70% or so moire handling. What it does exactly I don't know, but it's like it reorganizes the dots to a new order which remove moire but make for example the pattern on the jacket very wrong in closeup.

Besides having to open the files in FlexColor first, I could see a tool in Phocus, organizing and finishing.

As most Hasselblad and Imacon tools, it's very simple which is a high quality in todays photography. Machines, software and cameras with very few buttons is a statement in itself that what is there, is all that is needed.

I just did this one in Phocus and liked the fact that I felt I had very good control and that the workflow was simple and clean. It's fine whatever for this web size.

As for how it sharpens and stuff, I haven't figured that yet. But generally I like and have the utmost respect for how Imacon deals with colors, light and details. In 100% enlargment it might not always look as sharp as "really sharp" scanners, cameras, etc. But in overview (which is anyway how one perceive pictures!), their colors and light is always precise, lively and sharp. Sometimes deeper than two-dimensional.

Here's a crop of ca. 100% where you can grasp some of the sharpening-technique which is clearly not "follow the lines" but rather "create natural look that appears sharp"

gero

I have just imported new images into aperture and the highlight problem seems to be fixed.:clap:

please let me know what you think of this.

gero

Yes, if you run software update in your mac it does it. I did it yesterday.

I am wandering if Aperture takes advantage now of the 16 bit DMR file or if it just process it as a M8 8 bit and just descards the two ends of the file?

overgaarcom

Yes, if you run software update in your mac it does it. I did it yesterday.
Me too. One must just remember to check for updates again after having updated, so you're sure to get all new system AND raw updates.

But it does in fact work for DMR now. It really does.