The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1 VS DSLR

RAM

I have been looking to down size from my D700 but not at a cost to IQ. The X1 is now available at my local camera shop (Ottawa Canada) and from what I have seen on this forum it could fit the bill. I understand the auto focus is slowish but manageable (possible software fix on the way?) and it has a limited focal lenght (I shoot prime anyway so not a concern for me).

Unfortunately none in stock to handle and test so a couple of basic questions to users.
1. Sounds like IQ is very good but on the computer screen everything looks great - how are prints in the A3 to A1 range?
2. I am a little confused as to what information appears on the rear screen and EVF when shooting - can one see f stop, aperature and ISO adjustments and focus real time? Is the information seen in the EVF the same as on the rear screen?
3. How effective is the EVF - I shoot alot in day light (with galsses) so not sure how good the rear screen is for focusing - a worth while albeit expensive addition?
4. Build quality good enough for backpack/bike use?
5. Any issues good or bad that one should should be aware of?

Many thanks for your answers in advance.

Paratom

1) I havent printed A1 but A2 (just few) and IQ looks very good to me. Colors I prefer x1 to what I get wih the D700
2+3) There is no EVF - you either use the display or an optical viewfinder (which of course doesnt show you anything besides the subject. There is a smal light which you can see when using Optical VF which confirms AF. I use the display 99%
4) Its not a D700 but if you put in in a little bag I would have no concerns bringing the camera for those things
5) AF is not only slowish , but verrryyyyy slowish (but very accurate!); No continues AF, display not as good as Nikon (but good enough for framing IMO)
AUto ISO setting for shortest exp time is 1/30 which doesnt make any sense for me that I can not choose a shorter exp time (in A mode)
This camera is not only small and delievers great IQ, it is also very unobstrusive due to a near silent shutter. Also you can use the flash with all exposure times as fill which is great. User interface is simple and I love it (with the 2 wheels). Sometimes the wheels setting changes when you pack or unpack the cam. I dont see this as a big problem.

For me its the first small camera where I dont feel to make a compromise regarding IQ.
But coming from a D700 you give up a lot regarding AF, lens options etc.
Save a little longer and keep the D700 and add the x1.

hdrmd

I agree with t streng. Keep the D700 if you can and get an X1 if you can. The X1 is very slow to AF, but the IQ is great. And it will fit in your pocket. DR

RAM

Thank you both for your replies - I have considered keeping the D700 but I just seem to never use it due to its size/weight.

Any other comments from forum memebers?

Paratom

Thank you both for your replies - I have considered keeping the D700 but I just seem to never use it due to its size/weight.

Any other comments from forum memebers?
Well, if you dont use it anyways you wont use it more when you get the x1.
In this case the x1 (if fixed focal length is fine for you) could be the deal and you could sell the D700.
Other options would m4/3 or something like a Pentax K5 - which are both considrably smaller than the D700+full frame lenses.

BeeWee

If you're able to do a day-trip to Montreal, you can check out Leica Boutique (www.leicaboutique.com). They Have both the black and silver version in stock at the moment. I've bought stuff from them in the past and they're great to work with.

Godfrey

I looked at the Leica X1 at the camera shop the other day. Light, small, beautiful to hold. With the optical finder, quite a nice package for what it is. Focusing seemed fine ... for what it is.

I'd like a camera of this size/weight/type to complement my DSLR system. I'm waiting to see the Fuji X100 (and have the cash in the bank ...) before making any decisions. There's also the Olympus E-PL2 and yet another, higher end Olympus mFT body coming up soon. No hurry here.

simonclivehughes

If you're able to do a day-trip to Montreal, you can check out Leica Boutique (www.leicaboutique.com). They Have both the black and silver version in stock at the moment. I've bought stuff from them in the past and they're great to work with.
+1 for Jean and his staff at the Leica Boutique. I deal with them from Vancouver and it's always been a real pleasure. Highly recommended.

BTW, I sold my D700 system and have only μ4/3 and NEX now... very liberating! The only caveat I would voice is the fixed lens. I know that wouldn't do me.

Ciao,

ptomsu

Workshop Member
While the X1 seemed to be nice when I tried it, I finally decided to wait for the X2, as by then AF and also some other flaws should have been improved.

Meanwhile my EP2 has a similar form factor and I have the flexibility of changing lenses and IS. So much greater flexibility in my eyes and IQ wise one can debate, but I no longer believe in that "Leica Look". Anyway if I need to have the feeling to get the Leica Look, then I can use my M43 adapter in combination with the EP2 and any of my M glass and will be satisfied ;)

In my eyes a X1 never can compete with a DSLR feature wise, so either you need a DSLR for what you shoot or simply a camera like the X1 is sufficient. For me this single focal length is just too limiting.

RAM

Thanks to all for your ideas/comments - for me it is down to IQ as I have no issues with fixed focal length and slowish AF.

So my question to X1 users who also have a DSLR - if you were presented with a series of prints from X1 and DSLRs - would you be able to tell which were from the X1?