The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alternative to M9 for telephoto.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

This may not be the best place to start this thread but please bear with me!

I'm about to make a three week trip overseas where I must travel light and where my M9 and a few lenses will be the absolute ideal camera.

However, for just two days of the trip I'll need something in the 300 mm range - the Apo Telyt won't be enough. (I have a Sony and 70-400 zoom but that's just to heavy for this trip - for just the two days.)

My first thought was to pick up a V Lux 2 which actually has more reach than I need, but the reviews I have read are pretty harsh on image quality. I looked at the V Lux 20 which goes to 300 mm (equivalent) but it doesn't do RAW.

So - I'm appealing for views as to what I might investigate. The primary requirements are - light/very compact, shoot in Raw, 300 mm equivalent.

The V Lux 2 would be OK if it did Raw. It would have been good back-up for M9 too, instead of the X1 I usually take.

What should I look at? I know I'm not going to get M9 quality and that's OK. And I know the answer probably won't be Leica - hence my initial hesitation about where this thread should be. But I reckon fellow Leica shooters will understand my needs better!

Opinions please!

TX
Bill

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
This may not be the best place to start this thread but please bear with me!

I'm about to make a three week trip overseas where I must travel light and where my M9 and a few lenses will be the absolute ideal camera.

However, for just two days of the trip I'll need something in the 300 mm range - the Apo Telyt won't be enough. (I have a Sony and 70-400 zoom but that's just to heavy for this trip - for just the two days.)

My first thought was to pick up a V Lux 2 which actually has more reach than I need, but the reviews I have read are pretty harsh on image quality. I looked at the V Lux 20 which goes to 300 mm (equivalent) but it doesn't do RAW.

So - I'm appealing for views as to what I might investigate. The primary requirements are - light/very compact, shoot in Raw, 300 mm equivalent.

The V Lux 2 would be OK if it did Raw. It would have been good back-up for M9 too, instead of the X1 I usually take.

What should I look at? I know I'm not going to get M9 quality and that's OK. And I know the answer probably won't be Leica - hence my initial hesitation about where this thread should be. But I reckon fellow Leica shooters will understand my needs better!

Opinions please!

TX
Bill
Pana GH-2 with 14-140 lens....good higher ISOs and 280 mm equivalent.

Bob

JimBuchanan

If you are going to resort to a crop, get a Tele-Elmar M 135/4 for your M9 and crop. You could squeeze 270mm out of that...

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

If you are going to resort to a crop, get a Tele-Elmar M 135/4 for your M9 and crop. You could squeeze 270mm out of that...
I have the 135 Apo Telyt already and I must admit I'm wondering if a cropped Apo Telyt image might be as good as a p&S zoomed image...I may do a few tests tomorrow.

Bob, thanks for the thought - I will investigate that option!

Bill

Seascape

You have the 135 Apo-Telyt, pick up a Panasonic G1 with a converter and your pretty close to a 300 equivalent.

G1's are compact, do RAW, and are cheap used.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

You have the 135 Apo-Telyt, pick up a Panasonic G1 with a converter and your pretty close to a 300 equivalent.

G1's are compact, do RAW, and are cheap used.
Thanks, Seascape - but the image wouldn't be any bigger than I get on the M9 - the sensor would simply be smaller. I'd just as soon crop the M9 image.

See "Misha" in the Latest & Greatest thread...but thanks for responding.

Bill

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
A850 and 70-300G? It's what I got, exactly to complement the M9 on the tele end. The 70-300G is much smaller than the 70-400.