Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Alternative to M9 for telephoto.

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Alternative to M9 for telephoto.

    This may not be the best place to start this thread but please bear with me!

    I'm about to make a three week trip overseas where I must travel light and where my M9 and a few lenses will be the absolute ideal camera.

    However, for just two days of the trip I'll need something in the 300 mm range - the Apo Telyt won't be enough. (I have a Sony and 70-400 zoom but that's just to heavy for this trip - for just the two days.)

    My first thought was to pick up a V Lux 2 which actually has more reach than I need, but the reviews I have read are pretty harsh on image quality. I looked at the V Lux 20 which goes to 300 mm (equivalent) but it doesn't do RAW.

    So - I'm appealing for views as to what I might investigate. The primary requirements are - light/very compact, shoot in Raw, 300 mm equivalent.

    The V Lux 2 would be OK if it did Raw. It would have been good back-up for M9 too, instead of the X1 I usually take.

    What should I look at? I know I'm not going to get M9 quality and that's OK. And I know the answer probably won't be Leica - hence my initial hesitation about where this thread should be. But I reckon fellow Leica shooters will understand my needs better!

    Opinions please!

    TX
    Bill

  2. #2
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternative to M9 for telephoto.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    This may not be the best place to start this thread but please bear with me!

    I'm about to make a three week trip overseas where I must travel light and where my M9 and a few lenses will be the absolute ideal camera.

    However, for just two days of the trip I'll need something in the 300 mm range - the Apo Telyt won't be enough. (I have a Sony and 70-400 zoom but that's just to heavy for this trip - for just the two days.)

    My first thought was to pick up a V Lux 2 which actually has more reach than I need, but the reviews I have read are pretty harsh on image quality. I looked at the V Lux 20 which goes to 300 mm (equivalent) but it doesn't do RAW.

    So - I'm appealing for views as to what I might investigate. The primary requirements are - light/very compact, shoot in Raw, 300 mm equivalent.

    The V Lux 2 would be OK if it did Raw. It would have been good back-up for M9 too, instead of the X1 I usually take.

    What should I look at? I know I'm not going to get M9 quality and that's OK. And I know the answer probably won't be Leica - hence my initial hesitation about where this thread should be. But I reckon fellow Leica shooters will understand my needs better!

    Opinions please!

    TX
    Bill
    Pana GH-2 with 14-140 lens....good higher ISOs and 280 mm equivalent.

    Bob

  3. #3
    Member JimBuchanan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternative to M9 for telephoto.

    If you are going to resort to a crop, get a Tele-Elmar M 135/4 for your M9 and crop. You could squeeze 270mm out of that...

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: Alternative to M9 for telephoto.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimBuchanan View Post
    If you are going to resort to a crop, get a Tele-Elmar M 135/4 for your M9 and crop. You could squeeze 270mm out of that...
    I have the 135 Apo Telyt already and I must admit I'm wondering if a cropped Apo Telyt image might be as good as a p&S zoomed image...I may do a few tests tomorrow.

    Bob, thanks for the thought - I will investigate that option!

    Bill

  5. #5
    Member Seascape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternative to M9 for telephoto.

    You have the 135 Apo-Telyt, pick up a Panasonic G1 with a converter and your pretty close to a 300 equivalent.

    G1's are compact, do RAW, and are cheap used.

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: Alternative to M9 for telephoto.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seascape View Post
    You have the 135 Apo-Telyt, pick up a Panasonic G1 with a converter and your pretty close to a 300 equivalent.

    G1's are compact, do RAW, and are cheap used.
    Thanks, Seascape - but the image wouldn't be any bigger than I get on the M9 - the sensor would simply be smaller. I'd just as soon crop the M9 image.

    See "Misha" in the Latest & Greatest thread...but thanks for responding.

    Bill

  7. #7
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternative to M9 for telephoto.

    A850 and 70-300G? It's what I got, exactly to complement the M9 on the tele end. The 70-300G is much smaller than the 70-400.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •