The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M21 Apo Elmarit - hood options

PeterA

I recently had the misfortune of dropping my M8 onto concrete, fortunately I had the 21 on the camera at the time, just a slight indent on the bottom right base plate corner - yeah it is getting to look like a real user..strangely the camera works just as well as it used to..I count myself very lucky.

Anyway before I order a replacement hood (which has been smashed - I asked myself "is there a better alternative or at least an alternative to the original Leica Hood for the 21?'"

If anyone has any ideas or experiences and conclusions I would certainly like to hear about it.
Pete

W

workingcamera

Know that hitting concrete feeling... not nice. :bugeyes::cussing::banghead:

Leica stuff seams to take it quite well.:thumbs: Hope its just scratches with no lasting effects:)

If only you had got a 19 for the DMR instead… this never would have happened.:ROTFL:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Peter I use these very cheap metal hoods that i find on e-bay that work really nice and a lot smaller than the Leica hoods so less interference viewing also
I buy from this gentleman all the time . I use them on the 28 cron, 21mm and just ordered one for my 90 mm

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Metal-Wide-...ryZ78999QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Guy Do you use a longer hood with he 90MM? Florida is so bright..I get a lot of flare going anywhere near into the sun. Roger

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes Roger i ordered the longer standard one for the 90mm should be here in a few days , will report on it. Like to get the real Leica 90mm hood but there really hard to get right now but looking. The nice thing is there so cheap to buy the ones on e-bay.

PeterA

Apo Elmarit:confused:. I suppose you mean 21 Elmarit asph:salute:
( quite right) sorry,,

Guy thanks mate - I will check it out.

Craig - i couldn't believe it the strap actually ( somehow came loose) and I watched the camera do a nice slow motion tumble onto the concrete - couldn't try and catch it otherwise I may have spilled the beer I was drinking at the time LOL

thanks everyone
Pete

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Peter:

You're in good hands LOLOLOLOLOL! I've dropped M glass on concrete when swapping lenses too. Fortunately, they've landed on the hoods and not even been scratched. Like Guy, I really like the cheap Ebay metal screw in hoods too --- IMO they offer a huge amount of protection and are cheap enough you can afford to have a complete second set on hand...

Finally, I've not dropped an M lens since I made up a bunch of these back-2-back lenscaps --- thye give you a third hand while swapping lenses:

I used a belt sander to flatten the rears and roughen them up, then contact (barge) cement to mount them together; ready to use in about 15 minutes. Epoxy also works, but takes a bit to set up and is messier. Super glue works well too, but leaves a white stain on the seam from the fumes.

Cheers,

PeterA

Thanks for the tip Jack - the really clever stuff always looks so simple - when someone else has done the thinking for you !:)

I will definitely knock one of your holders up soon. I am also looking into getting one of those light tables or light tents so I can make pretty pictures of my gear and any gadgets I come across to show.

I feel pretty relieved about my M8 - dropped it in the airplane back from HK where I bought the 21..no problem ..and now on concrete with a minor dent and a smashed hood but no apparent damage to working of camera - or even rangefinder focus. (phew) It is all so much luck with accidents like this - good or bad.