The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M9 and the Metz 58 AF-2 TTL

Gary P

Does anyone know if the Metz 58 AF-2 TTL for Olympus/Panasonic/Leica is compatible with the M9 for TTL flash? I assume it is as it seems to be the same as the Leica 58 for about half the price!!!

D&A

I'm going to take a stab at answering this but I don't have a definitive answer. My feeling is it will not work in TTL with the M8/M9. I believe this Metz flash is onlyfor Leica 4/3rds system (as well as the 4.3rds system of Olympus and Panasonic). So far thats the best I can come up with at this time. Most definitely a question for Metz.

Dave (D&A)

Jerry_R

Olympus flashes work very well with M9. I use FL-36R, I used FL-50R earlier.
They work in flash AUTO mode. You just set aperture and ISO on flash - as set on M9.
You can change it very quickly if needed (flash has wheel or buttons).

Of course it applies to Metz for Olympus too. Above setup also works wireless, eg. with Phottix Aster.

PS: I also used SF-58, but sold, as it was too big, HSS was not working with M9, and TTL never gave me better results than flash AUTO mode in situations when I used the flash.

Udo

Gary,

I'd recommend to contact a Metz technician directly through their web site. Answers usually come promptly and comprehensively. With so much (sensitive) electronics involved I'd be careful to avoid damaging the camera.

Regards,
Udo

Gary P

Thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated. I really want the TTL function, I think contacting Metz makes a lot of sense.

Gary P

D&A

As I mentioned in my post above, I'd be most surprised (bordering on shocked) if this model of Metz flash worked in TTL mode with the M9. Please let us know if you're able to get a definitive answer. One can always hope!

Dave (D&A)