The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 Freezing?

edmund

Has anyone else had this problem?

Being in Chicago, I went out yesterday during out "snow day" to shoot.

The temperature was in the 20s for most of the day.

Everything was working fine, until about a 1.5-2 hrs of shooting that my camera just stopped turning on. At first I thought it was the battery. After changing it, the problem continued.

I would turn the switch to "S" from OFF and the red light would come on, but then the small LCD would not show how many exposures I had left.

After turning it "on" many times, it finally turned back on - sometimes only for a couple shots before doing the same thing.

After coming home and warming up a bit, it all worked fine.

Any ideas? Any way to prevent this?

My thoughts:
1. Normal behaviour in extreme cold
2. Bad battery (these were 3rd party batteries) - though the LCD showed a full charge, perhaps they are still faulty

I had the same issues out there yesterday. Not the first time that happened fo me either. I attributed it to shooting out the batter each time.

sjg284

I have had mixed results with M8 & cold weather.
The best I can say is - go out with a full charge, and if possible a spare battery.

I found that if I went out with a charge below full (even 2/3 bars) the battery dies very rapidly.
Keeping this in mind I have had a lot of success shooting in cold, snow, etc for extended periods.

edmund

Hmm, interesting.

Ive got 5 batteries... sounds like Ill need to keep all of them with me!

If a battery issue, then Im relieved...

Last edited:

edmund

Im downtown -- by the giant McDonalds.

Have you seen the Vivian Maier exhibit yet? Definitely worth it.