Site Sponsors

Thread: Focusing Speed / Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Focusing Speed / Advice

I'm using an M8 and 40mm summicron and I need to improve my focussing speed. I also have an M6 so I'm not new to rangefinder focussing but since getting a digital M I find myself using it more for the type of general use that I used to use a 5D for.

I have a one and a half year old daughter that runs straight at me every time I pick up the camera, and when I'm indoors I'm shooting wide open at f2 so my attempts at zone focusing are understandably hit and miss, I do get some beautiful results but wouldn't mind getting even more!

I'd appreciate any advice or tips on shooting fast moving subjects, specially at close quarters if you've got any - thanks

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Focusing Speed / Advice

I'd say you've got quite the challenge on your hands trying to shoot a running toddler with a Leica M. That's Nikon (or Canon) territory from my experience. Nikon D3 set to continuous AF and 9 fps will get you some keepers. If you can do it with the M8... you're a better man than me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HenryFool View Post

I'd appreciate any advice or tips on shooting fast moving subjects, specially at close quarters if you've got any - thanks
    Go to the dogs.... Seriously, find a nearby place where dogs play and run freely; they´re fast and erratic in their movements, so the good old method of prefocussing on something doesn´t work well. When you can follow them, you can focus almost anything.

That said, there are BIG differences between lenses, mainly depending on how ´steep´ their focussing scales are. My older Summicron 50 and Tele-Elmarit 90 are quite difficult, while my new Summicron 75 is perfect.

Here´s one from the 75 - and these Irish ladies were FAST...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    I'd say you've got quite the challenge on your hands trying to shoot a running toddler with a Leica M. That's Nikon (or Canon) territory from my experience. Nikon D3 set to continuous AF and 9 fps will get you some keepers. If you can do it with the M8... you're a better man than me
    It's a challenge alright! but I'll keep practicing... people have been taking pictures of fast moving targets for a good deal longer than the EOS auto-focusing system has been around so I'll just have to get better I guess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    Go to the dogs.... Seriously, find a nearby place where dogs play and run freely; they´re fast and erratic in their movements, so the good old method of prefocussing on something doesn´t work well. When you can follow them, you can focus almost anything.

That said, there are BIG differences between lenses, mainly depending on how ´steep´ their focussing scales are. My older Summicron 50 and Tele-Elmarit 90 are quite difficult, while my new Summicron 75 is perfect.

Here´s one from the 75 - and these Irish ladies were FAST...
    Thanks Per, I'll get plenty of practice with the little one (and the labrador!) interesting that the 75 gives you a better hit rate though... oh, and careful what you're saying about Irish Ladies now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HenryFool View Post
    ... oh, and careful what you're saying about Irish Ladies now!

(Honest, when I wrote that, I hadn´t noticed your location....).