The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fast and Wide - my S2 consolation

jonoslack

Hi There
Well, when I decided not to get the S2, I consoled myself by ordering a Noctilux and a 24 summilux. Two boxes arrived on Friday, so, according to the rules of new camera equipment, it's rained ever since.

I've had to take pictures where it's possible (dying tulips in the kitchen and the grey rainy woods) - I have to say that both lenses are a real experience. Here are a few shots -

24 lux

Noctilux

Noctilux

24 lux

24 lux

Noctilux

Noctilux

After a long wet walk in the woods, there's only one place to go!

Noctilux

there are some more woodland shots here:

If you go down to the woods today

Knorp

Looking good, Jono ;)
Congrats with your S2 replacement and happy shooting !

Kind regards.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Noctilux
Old Speckled Hen is fine...no Old Peculier?

Would love to walk every weekend and end up in such a place.

Maybe my M9 will suffice.:rolleyes:

Regards,

Bob

D&A

Good luck with the new lenses Jono...looks like an auspicious start! I assume the Noct is the new 0.95? By the way, if this is how one consoles themselves, then I need some consoling :)

Dave (D&A)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Really great shots, you will very much enjoy the lenses!

Have great fun

Peter

PS: maybe I need to console myself with an M9 ;)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jono

Fabulous additions to the M9. I will have to now make another resolution NOT to look at your work with these lens again so that I can keep myself from extreme temptation. :ROTFL:

Again ....

ashwinrao1

Hi There
Well, when I decided not to get the S2, I consoled myself by ordering a Noctilux and a 24 summilux. Two boxes arrived on Friday, so, according to the rules of new camera equipment, it's rained ever since.

I've had to take pictures where it's possible (dying tulips in the kitchen and the grey rainy woods) - I have to say that both lenses are a real experience. Here are a few shots -

24 lux

Noctilux

Noctilux

24 lux

24 lux

Noctilux

Noctilux

Noctilux

there are some more woodland shots here:

If you go down to the woods today

Jono, rainy day shots or not, these are astounding captures...great use of your 2 new buddies! Did you not have the Summilux 24 mm when it first arrived a couple of years back, or am I mistaken?

jonoslack

error error error.
Late night postings are always dodgy!
Many thanks to eagle eyed Arjuna, who quite rightly pointed out that the first post was taken with a 28 'cron and NOT with the 24 'lux.

This was the picture from the 24 lux which I meant to post!

sorry :eek:

jonoslack

Old Speckled Hen is fine...no Old Peculier?

Would love to walk every weekend and end up in such a place.

Maybe my M9 will suffice.:rolleyes:

Regards,

Bob
Hi Bob - no old peculiar I'm afraid - we have to take what Sean and Alina have to offer . . . together with the Satie on the piano (played by Alina) and the general great atmosphere.

You might not like the weather so much though - same again today, raining and 4C euch.

jonoslack

Good luck with the new lenses Jono...looks like an auspicious start! I assume the Noct is the new 0.95? By the way, if this is how one consoles themselves, then I need some consoling :)

Dave (D&A)
Hi Dave
That's the one - it's certainly in interesting approach to buying madly expensive lenses without a guilty conscience . . . think about an S2 with 3 lenses, then look again! (Emma thought it was a good idea too!).

I was dithering whether to get the 21 or 24 'lux, but in the end, as I already had the WATE I plumped for the 24. I'm really pleased, as it turns out to be quite useable without an external viewfinder (wouldn't be so easy with glasses I guess).

all the best

jonoslack

Jono, rainy day shots or not, these are astounding captures...great use of your 2 new buddies! Did you not have the Summilux 24 mm when it first arrived a couple of years back, or am I mistaken?
Hi Ashwin
Thank you!
I didn't have the 24 before - I've hadn't bought a lens for over £2000 until the 35 'lux asph II last summer - so this was a pretty major departure!

I certainly am loving them though.

all the best
Jono

Paratom

Jono,
images look great. I can honestly say that owning a 24Lux does not make you safe forever to not get an S2 ;)
The 24Lux is one of my favorite M lenses.
The Noctilux shots are beautiful and I think it is really something special. I am constantly telling myself that the 50lux asph is enough for me but the Nocti Bokeh is still clearly one step further with its shallow DOF.

So at least the S2 did one good thing for you: it makes you feel to have saved money when buying a Nocti and a 24Lux lenses ;)

jonoslack

Jono,
images look great. I can honestly say that owning a 24Lux does not make you safe forever to not get an S2 ;)
Hi Tom
Well - I think it might make me safe, everybody's funds has some kind of a limit, and I think mine might have just got there!

The 24Lux is one of my favorite M lenses.
I'm really loving it - more than I expected, like other modern Leica lenses it seems to be a wonderful compromise between clinical and 'spiritual'. Fab.
The Noctilux shots are beautiful and I think it is really something special. I am constantly telling myself that the 50lux asph is enough for me but the Nocti Bokeh is still clearly one step further with its shallow DOF.
I had one of the old f1 noctiluxes, and I really did like it, but I felt that it was a bit of a one trick pony. The new one is great, in that if you stop it down a bit then it starts to behave much more like the perfect 50 'lux - and of course, there's minimal focus shift to worry about.
So at least the S2 did one good thing for you: it makes you feel to have saved money when buying a Nocti and a 24Lux lenses ;)
:ROTFL:
To be honest, I did have the funds - but they were earning nothing as savings, and it seemed to me that they might as well be transferred to glass, which seems as likely to appreciate as most other things!
I don't however have the funds to buy an S2 as well!

This is one from this morning with the Noctilux - an impossible white balance situation makes for interesting colours on white walls - I rather like it!

Terry

Jono,
Congratulations on the news lenses and your new ability to see in the dark. Should we send you some ND filters as well? :D.

Love the last one that is almost seeming to be illuminated by blue neon.

Have fun!

Last edited:

jonoslack

Jono,
Congratulations on the news lenses and you new ability to see in the dark. Should we send you some ND filters as well? :D.

Love the last one that is almost seeming to be illuminated by blue neon.

Have fun!
Oh Terry
You're reading my mind - do you have my address?
ND filters are going to be necessary very soon! E60 seems to be the size.

all the best