The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Menu Behavior Question

stephengilbert

When adjusting the coding on my Zeiss 21mm lens, I discovered that when I select Lens Detection on the menu, choose On+UV/IR, and press the Set button twice I get the Tri-Elmar 16/18/21 option screen. I thought my coding was off.

Then I discovered that this same thing happens with all my lenses. If I install my 28mm Elmarit, I get the same WATE menu option screen, but the lens information button correctly shows a 28. Is this behavior a problem, or just something normal that I never noticed before?

Thanks, Steve

jonoslack

Hi Stephen
I'm not sure whether 'normal' is quite the right word for it, but 'observed before' will certainly cover it!

I think you'll find it isn't quite that consistent, and that something will throw a switch and you'll be asked / not asked. As you say, the consolation is that it may be asking stupid questions, but doesn't seem to give stupid answers!

I keep my bodies on On+UV/IR all the time - in which case it doesn't seem to happen.

Keep your eye on it, but my feeling is that you should:
1. not be worried
2. not be irritated (more difficult, but better for the blood pressure!).

stephengilbert

Thanks Jono,

I do leave the UV/IR setting on all the time. I just happened to notice this when I was making sure the coding I'd put on my Zeiss lens was being read properly.

I'll try to remain calm.

Steve

stephengilbert

Jono,

I've found an answer to my question: reset the camera. I hit the reset button, and the camera returned to what I think of as normal: no WATE option appears when a non-WATE lens is attached.

Steve

jonoslack

Nothing is forever!
I suspect it may return if you change the coding/IR option again. (but I have been wrong before!)