The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Silver Efex Pro 2!

sjg284

Looks like its out..
Just got the email 90 minutes ago.. downloaded and installed.
(if my spam filter didn't hide it, I would have been on it even earlier ;-))

Will report back once I've taken it for a test drive.. probably in the morning :D

sjg284

Liking the enhanced controls, particularly on the control points.
Happy with what I am seeing so far.
Heres two samples I did in 10 minutes.. now off to bed.

Felt I was able to get a lot out of the sky on this one, as well as get the tones on the near, dark water to be what I was looking for.

ashwinrao1

Man, got me excited! Great shots. I'll have to take a look. Any consensus on whether the upgrade is worth it?

mathomas

Have been anxiously awaiting Silver Efex Pro 2 (SEP2). Got it last night, and it was causing Aperture crashes. I finally fixed that by de- and re-installing. Have been playing with it for an hour or so. I feel it is much slower than version 1.0, but it has some exciting features. Hopefully they'll improve the performance over time.

One other bug I've noticed is that my keywords get all screwed up for images coming back from SEP2. So, keep that in mind (would be curious if others see this phenomenon) Not sure if that's Aperture's fault, or SEP2 (I suspect Aperture).

A couple of samples, just for fun:

Leica V-LUX 1 (lots of flare, and dusty filter, but I still like it):

Contax RX, with Ektar 100 (I'm not a fan of selective colorization, but I had to try it :)):

CharlesK

Excllent shots Steve and Matt!!!

Just upgraded 2 days ago, and it is seems more intuitive now. I have CS5 running W7 64 bit, and it does run a bit slower. Also I have noticed the conversion algorithms seem different than the previous version, that is using the same film type and settings, I arrive at two different results. This is not a problem, as you adapt, but just interesting to note. Version 2 does seem to be a lot more user friendly and functional!

kuau

Workshop Member
I just purchased the upgrade,
Nice new features, but it seems to run really slow for me when i save the image?
1.0x was much faster.
hmmmm

Steven

sjg284

I am running w/ LR3 on a Mac.
Now that I revisit, I notice-
* Appears slower (looking @ memory footprint, its suprisingly large.. larger than LR3 itself)
* I notice the keyword bug now, I had 2 photos with messed up keywords and I thought I did it. Seems that it clobbers a bunch of keywords together into one keyword?

Hopefully these get resolved in short order.

Liking the features & results though..

Have been anxiously awaiting Silver Efex Pro 2 (SEP2). Got it last night, and it was causing Aperture crashes. I finally fixed that by de- and re-installing. Have been playing with it for an hour or so. I feel it is much slower than version 1.0, but it has some exciting features. Hopefully they'll improve the performance over time.

One other bug I've noticed is that my keywords get all screwed up for images coming back from SEP2. So, keep that in mind (would be curious if others see this phenomenon) Not sure if that's Aperture's fault, or SEP2 (I suspect Aperture).

A couple of samples, just for fun:

Leica V-LUX 1 (lots of flare, and dusty filter, but I still like it):

Contax RX, with Ektar 100 (I'm not a fan of selective colorization, but I had to try it :)):

E

EdK

For anyone having speed related problems, you might try running SEP2 in a stand alone mode. SEP2 (and a few other Nik plug-ins such as HDR Efex Pro) can be executed without calling it from PS, LR or Aperture. What you need is any program that can call an external editor (Capture NX2 via its "open with" for example, or others such as FastPictureViewer and more - Windows Explorer should even work).

A caution - if you do this with SEP2 be aware that you CAN NOT control the "Save" directory or name. SEP will save the file to its source directory using the original name. BE SURE to have a copy somewhere or else your original is gone.

You will find that SEP2 loads and saves faster in a stand alone mode and obviously frees you from some problems currently encountered in the plug-in host programs. YMMV

You can find a complete SEP2 tutorial here at my photo blog.