The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

28mm Schneider Super-Angulon PC on M9?

bingoh2000

Anyone used the Leica-R 28mm Schneider Super-Angulon PC on an M9? The lens is terrific and the shift is very useful--but I don't know if it would produce odd color-shifts on the M9 sensor. Any thoughts would be useful...

thrice

Being retrofocus I strongly doubt there will be any colour shifts. However, there will be no way to preview the focus or perspective corrections. I would think buying a 5D-II and adapting the 28 PC to that would be a much more efficient and rewarding combo, seeing as you have already defeated the size advantage by putting a hulking big lens on an M.

bingoh2000

Retrofocus--yes. But when shifted the light will be coming into the camera at a more acute angle than would be the case for the usual lens. Not sure if this will cause problems for the sensor. I hear you about previewing--was more interested in the lens for horizontal landscape panos. Thanks!

thrice

Oh I understand then. Still, I strongly doubt there will be a problem with severe colour shifts. You could also make cornerfix or C1 LLC profiles for the lens centred and shifted fully left/right.

robsteve

Subscriber
It produced color shifts on the DMR when shifted, probably the same or worse on a M9. The micro lenses are the problems. There is a way around it, but unfortunately, the raw processors that have this Capability, such as Capture One, only enable it when one of their camera backs are used.

It is a similar problem to the shifts you got with uncoded lenses on the M8 when using the UVIR filters. You may be able to shoot test images and then create profiles using the software third party software (Cornerfix) used for the M8 images.

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber
Oh I understand then. Still, I strongly doubt there will be a problem with severe colour shifts. You could also make cornerfix or C1 LLC profiles for the lens centred and shifted fully left/right.
I don't think you can create LLC profiles in C1 Pro for non-Phase files.

Robert

woodyspedden

I think Chuck Jones should comment here. He made a living out of the Super Angulon and I bet he still uses it on his M9.

Woody

robsteve

Subscriber
Robert, I have created LCC profiles in C1 for several cameras, including the M9.
Very useful for the V'Lander 12 mm Heliar, for example.

Bill
Which version of C1 Pro are you using? On my version the lcc section in lens correction is grayed out for my DMR and M8 files. In the row above lcc I can select lenses, but they are just medium format lenses and the LCC section still remains disabled.

Do you have a Phase back as well and may have a different version of the software? If I am doing something wrong, can you point me to directions for using the LCC.

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber
Was the LCC correction for non Phase files perhaps introduced in C1 Pro ver 6? I had tried out version 6, but was past the 30 day trial when I actually needed to do some work, so I am back on the last ver 5 C1 Pro. I think at this point I will probably have to buy the upgrade to try it out again. Can somebody confirm the LCC correction works for Leica files?

Here is an image from a few years ago using the 28mm shifted on the DMR. Notice the cyan on the top of the image. The next image is a white card with the lens shifted.

robsteve

Subscriber
Robert, I am using Capture 1 Pro 6.1xx and I assure you it does allow for LCC profiles for Leica.

See this forum too - http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23579

Bill
Bill:

Thanks for the info. This morning I realized I still had my old laptop with C1 Pro on it, so I tried the 6.1 demo on it and it does work with DMR files. I missed that feature when I tried it in December. I really only use C1 Pro for the image quality of the conversions and do the rest in Photoshop, so in December, I didn't see any difference in image quality. I hadn't bothered to upgrade before the demo expired. I am in the process of upgrading this morning.

The DMR is getting to be such a rare bird, that I had to try it on my files to be sure. All the posts I had read after you mentioned the LCC function, were with M9 files. In the Processing section, Charles (CMB) just confirmed it worked on his DMR files.

Robert