The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First M9 post - Milan, Italy

vieri

Hello everyone,

I am back to Leica digital after quite some time off (about two years since I sold my M8s and got back to film-only Leicas!); I finally decided to move to an M9, and I am pretty happy so far with what I am seeing. The images below are my of my first outings with the new camera, none of them are cropped, all of them have PP (the X-processed colors are mine, not Leica's!); lenses are the Canon 50 f1.2, Leica 28 f2, Leica 90 f2.8, and a trial with the Leica 18mm (which I decided not to add to my arsenal for the moment, but will probably get soon).

Enough talk, here comes the pictures:

- Men on walls

- Boy on tramway

- Strange love and a picnic (for Italians only - the writing on the ground says it all!)

- Bag

- Tennent's (with the 18mm)

- Double photographers

- Garage

- Vietato Fu (No Smok)

- Aspettando Godot (Waiting for Godot)

That's it for now! I hope you enjoyed them, more to come...

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Welcome back to the land of RF, Vieri.

Your boy on the tram shot is a real winner - and the one at the bar made my mouth water for a beer!

Look forward to seeing more.

Bill

vieri

Welcome back to the land of RF, Vieri.

Your boy on the tram shot is a real winner - and the one at the bar made my mouth water for a beer!

Look forward to seeing more.

Bill
Hello Bill,

thank you very much, is good to be back to the land of digital RF - I actually never left the land of RF in general, and despite the M9 I still carry a M2 all the time for BW... :D

I am glad you enjoyed the pics! More to come soon...

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Vieri! So nice to see you again!
And good to see you also decided to join the Leica M digital fray once again. The M9 is a very superior camera in many ways, while still keeping hold of the same great Leica feel. I am very pleased I made the change myself, and sure looks like you are as well.

Great light to you, and look forward to seeing more after you are settled in with it!

baxter

Hi Vieri

Good shots and nice to see your work again, especially the colour palette you use. I'm curious about how you find the accuracy of the viewfinder framelines compared to the M8.

I'm considering camera options for a holiday in the summer (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=296233#post296233). This prompted me to start using the M8 a little bit again last weekend and soon realised how rusty I'd become with the frameline 'quirks' of the M8. In other words, I was pretty awful at getting what I was after first time which is frustrating as I used to have it pretty sorted, but it was always a source of frustration that I lived with.

Although I've searched several FAQ web forums about the M9, have seen no mention of this. Changing the M8 to the M9 is expensive and I'd like to know if this was an issue.

Many thanks

Baxter

jonoslack

Hi Vieri
congratulations on your M9 - is Italy a temporary location, or have you returned from Istanbul?

Baxter - as for the M9 framelines, they are just as quirky as the M8 framelines, but differently quirky. I don't there is a way for Leica to make them work at all focal lengths and distances - it's something we need to learn, but it's not that much of a mission!

all the best

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Hello Vieri. Good work. Some day you might want to play with Silver Efex Pro for B&W digital. Very impressive software and gives you the ability to mimic lots of film styles. I like to use only one camera. Sometimes I see things in color and sometimes in black and white, but it all comes from the same files.

Alan

baxter

Thanks Jono

I'll see if I can have a go with one at Robert White before making a decision which kind of Quirky suits me best!

vieri

Vieri! So nice to see you again!
And good to see you also decided to join the Leica M digital fray once again. The M9 is a very superior camera in many ways, while still keeping hold of the same great Leica feel. I am very pleased I made the change myself, and sure looks like you are as well.

Great light to you, and look forward to seeing more after you are settled in with it!
Hey Chuck, is great to be back here in the digital M realm! :D Yep, I like the M9 - despite its sensor's weaknesses - just because of what it is: a digital, full frame M! Finally I can use my M lenses on digital and have them do what they were designed for ;)

Hi Vieri

Good shots and nice to see your work again, especially the colour palette you use. I'm curious about how you find the accuracy of the viewfinder framelines compared to the M8.

I'm considering camera options for a holiday in the summer (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=296233#post296233). This prompted me to start using the M8 a little bit again last weekend and soon realised how rusty I'd become with the frameline 'quirks' of the M8. In other words, I was pretty awful at getting what I was after first time which is frustrating as I used to have it pretty sorted, but it was always a source of frustration that I lived with.

Although I've searched several FAQ web forums about the M9, have seen no mention of this. Changing the M8 to the M9 is expensive and I'd like to know if this was an issue.

Many thanks

Baxter
Baxter, thank you very much - I am glad you enjoyed the pics! About the M9's framing, as Jono said, it has its quirks: you can learn to live with them pretty easily, however if you need really precise framing then - generally speaking - a RF camera is not your best bet... Is up to you to decide what degree of "framing precision" you need, and see if a DSLR wouldn't be better for your particular type of applications.

Hi Vieri
congratulations on your M9 - is Italy a temporary location, or have you returned from Istanbul?

Baxter - as for the M9 framelines, they are just as quirky as the M8 framelines, but differently quirky. I don't there is a way for Leica to make them work at all focal lengths and distances - it's something we need to learn, but it's not that much of a mission!

all the best
Hey Jono! Good to see you, how are you doing? :D I was in MI for just a quick visit home, now I am back in Istanbul - same old same old...

Hello Vieri. Good work. Some day you might want to play with Silver Efex Pro for B&W digital. Very impressive software and gives you the ability to mimic lots of film styles. I like to use only one camera. Sometimes I see things in color and sometimes in black and white, but it all comes from the same files.

Alan
Hello Alan, thank you very much - glad you enjoyed the pics! About Silver Efex, I do have it and use it when I need BW from digital; however, I always carry a film M with me as well loaded with BW film, so I generally shoot film when I need BW... I still prefer the look of it, and carrying one extra M film body is something i can live with - not that bulky nor heavy, and provides a nice backup in case anything would go wrong with the M9 :D

Hi Vieri, and welcome back! Nice to see your first M9 posts.
Thank you! Is good to be back! :D