The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is it about a Leica?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's the attitude that makes people buy a Leica, and it's the same or a related attitude that makes people take good photos with said camera. If I have the attitude, but not the money, I still take the same photos. More or less. The Leica lenses are great of course, but there are other great lenses as well. Taking photos with a rangefinder camera is a slow and elaborate process, but I can be slow with any camera. I usually am.

I don't think the process of taking photos with the GH1 and the manual focus lenses that I use is very different from what I would do if I used an M9. I even take photos with both eyes open (I just discovered coincidence. Didn't know after more than 40 years of photography.), which is important for the timing of almost any photo. Would I like to have a Leica? Yes, absolutely, but I don't think the photos I take would change radically.