The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bye Bye M8

Robert Campbell

Woody

I think we all feel for you - cameras like Leicas should not break...gradually wear, but not break. I had an M3, M4 and several screw versions yonks ago, and never had any problems.

It would be nice to think that Leica would treat you as the Rolls-Royce motor company did many years ago:

An english nob was touring the continent when the rear axle of his Rolls-Royce broke. A replacement was quickly sent out, and he was soon able to continue his extended tour.

When he returned to England there was no bill waiting for him. He queried this with the company, only to be told:

"Sir, the rear axles of Rolls-Royces do not break".

woodyspedden

Hey Bertie

I remember that Rolls story very well and it makes a clear point.

For those who may be interested in seeing what a broken Leica M8 shutter looks like I an enclosing an image. The black stripe at the bottom of the shutter is the broken blade which has basically turned inside out. I have seen a number of images on the LUF of such broken shutters and they all seem to go the same way.

Anyway, mine is now on the way to Sean at Camera West who will see to it that it goes to Solms for a new replacement.

Woody

kevin

Damn. I need a new larger sensor digital camera, and I have to say that even though my sentimental attachment to Leica and shooting with rangefinders means I'm willing to pay a premium for an M8, I'm NOT willing to put up with this sort of nonsense.

Canon 5D (Nikon D700?) it is.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Not much leica can do about design and /or quality issues that are out the door. They can t afford a public recall. But they can and should repair this on an accelerated basis and do enough testing to get it right the first time. Like Woody I have been using M s since the 60 s and still have my original black paint M4(bought new) and a perfect M3. I have used an M2,M3,M4,M5,M6(many) and an SL,SL2,R3,R4(multiple). I have a 4 inch file on Leica service. I never had any mechanical failures on any camera..but many with electronics. The big difference was that Leica used to turn these around in about 2 weeks (I checked the dates). Its easy to understand the longer delays associated with the initial batch.......but come on 18 months later and the service reputation still endures. This is compounded by self serving policies (1) no transfer of warranties ? (2) soliciting shutter and screen replacements that require hiring and training new technicians?. (3) establishing a priority for pay system in solms that allows a euro zone user to jump you in line for less than $100 . (4) allowing the process of shipping to and from Solms to take in excess of 4 weeks ? (5) not phasing in the new shutter as it becomes available . There are 5 solid issues that Leica can and should address. They can start by turning around Woody s M8. :clap:

Stuart Richardson

For what it's worth, I drove out to Leica today to drop off my M8, and they were very accommodating. They knew that it took 3 months last time, (which is still inexcusable), but they promised to fix the camera at the beginning of next week. Considering the holiday weekend, I think that is very nice of them. To get things straight, my camera was with them for 3 months and it did come back working, but the problem reappeared about 2 months after it got back to me. Now, I would have preferred had it just worked after the first repair (let alone not needing it in the first place), but I do appreciate that they didn't just stick back at the end of the line.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
For what it's worth, I drove out to Leica today to drop off my M8, and they were very accommodating. They knew that it took 3 months last time, (which is still inexcusable), but they promised to fix the camera at the beginning of next week. Considering the holiday weekend, I think that is very nice of them. To get things straight, my camera was with them for 3 months and it did come back working, but the problem reappeared about 2 months after it got back to me. Now, I would have preferred had it just worked after the first repair (let alone not needing it in the first place), but I do appreciate that they didn't just stick back at the end of the line.
The glitch is whether it has to go to Solms. If they can do it in NJ then its possible. If it goes to Solms you won t see it for 6 weeks minimum. This is one of my biggest gripes ...I tracked about 12 repairs thru NJ to Solms (some 3-4 times). Its 2 weeks to get it Solms ....even with priority nothing went thru service in less than 2 weeks and it always took at least 2 weeks more often 3 weeks to get it returned. I hope you have a good experience as well as Woody but I think its useful to share the results.