Site Sponsors

Thread: S2 and Flash SF 58

Post Thanks / Like

S2 and Flash SF 58

Seems we are not making friends at all .

I simply cannot make it work the way I want. Specifically, I do not get the exposure right, notably when I attempt indirect flash (i.e., bouncing via the ceiling). Even if I activate the second flash light, shots are underexposed. Also, although the flash fired, some exif data show flash did not fire .

I must admit that I am not an expert at all as far as flash is concerned. Before switching to Leica M in 2005, I had a Canon SLR with a build in flash and a Canon flash to put on the horseshoe. Set to TTL, set either program (or a aperture), fired, and bang right on the money. Not so with this 600 Euro flash and 18,000 Euro camera.

FYI, I am mostly interested to make two things work: 1) fill in flash when shooting against strong backlight and 2) normal indirect flash. Any help what settings to use on the camera or the flash much appreciated.

Georg

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: S2 and Flash SF 58

Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    Seems we are not making friends at all .

I simply cannot make it work the way I want. Specifically, I do not get the exposure right, notably when I attempt indirect flash (i.e., bouncing via the ceiling). Even if I activate the second flash light, shots are underexposed. Also, although the flash fired, some exif data show flash did not fire .

I must admit that I am not an expert at all as far as flash is concerned. Before switching to Leica M in 2005, I had a Canon SLR with a build in flash and a Canon flash to put on the horseshoe. Set to TTL, set either program (or a aperture), fired, and bang right on the money. Not so with this 600 Euro flash and 18,000 Euro camera.

FYI, I am mostly interested to make two things work: 1) fill in flash when shooting against strong backlight and 2) normal indirect flash. Any help what settings to use on the camera or the flash much appreciated.

Georg
    Georg,

As covered elsewhere (http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...-flash-m9.html), you have to set the SF58 to TTL-HSS when using it on the S2.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Georg,
    I only have the Metz54 with Leica SCA adapter and either TTL-HSS and Auto both do work ok. (Auto of course only up to 1/125)
    Not as accurate as my Nikon flash but ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    Georg,

As covered elsewhere (http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...-flash-m9.html), you have to set the SF58 to TTL-HSS when using it on the S2.

David
    I went through the same issue and setting the flash to TTL HSS cured all problems. The S2 SF58 combo is a real winner IMHO

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    Georg,

David
    I had the flash on TTL-HSS. I did a further test and those look better but still not as I had hoped.

Post Thanks / Like

Georg,
    what's the distance between the flash and the subject when bouncing via the ceiling?
    Could you post an example with the EXIF?
    Do you use a diffuser?