Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: the DMR 'bible' - wher is it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: the DMR 'bible' - wher is it?

When using Flexcolor, you need to import the DMR dng files. It then converts the files into a Imacon 3ff format. You can then open the scratchpad and work on the files.

Once the files are imported into Flexcolor, Phocus will open the 3ff versions of them in the scratchpad.

For DMR files to work in Flexcolor, or Phocus, they cannot have been modified by third party programs that may alter the file. On a Mac, an unaltered DMR file should be 19.5mb. If it is smaller, it has been altered by a third party program.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Doug and Rogert,

That is simple and helpful. I just tried a couple of original DNG files I had from my test shoot of the DMR back when it was released and although I'm not familiar with using FlexColor yet, it's such a simple application I'm sure I'll get the hang of it real soon.

The trouble I had yesterday testing it was exactly because the files were not original ones. The 19.5 MB rule is a good one - and it did work!

I've updated my http://www.overgaard.dk/leica_digital_back_R.html page which is pretty unprofessional as it is now. But I'll try to build a knowledge base there as I get into using the DMR and obtain better results. I anyone has advice or other they want to add, please feel free to do so as I will gladly host advice and knowledge, as I do with for example the http://www.overgaard.dk/leica_lens_compendium.html which is mainly Justin Scott's knowledge made available broadly, helped by Doug and I.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It took you a while to make the buying decision Looks like your test shots were made almost three years ago.

BTW, with Flexcolor, there is an A that does an auto levels to get the files pretty close. You can adjust the default white and black points and other defaults under the file/setup menu. Once you find the settings you like, you can save that setup for use when importing the DNG files.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anyone noticed whether the new and improved Flexcolor has resolved the olive/yellow cast in greens (like in grass) issue that has bothered me re colours from the DMR when converted in C1. There is also the occasional weak cyan tinge to the sky that needs to be corrected IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost three years, yes!

Truly, I wasn't really satisfied with the look then and have said I would go digital as soon as I could produce film-like results in digital.

I seem to have come to that point where I might not be able to produce exact the film look, but a personal look I'm satisfied with, from digital files. Plus some advantages such as sharpness/clarity and speed of workflow. And I have been using Digilux 2 almost exclusively for ten months now and felt I had to get some DOF and tele capability.

The work I saw from Doug some months ago convinced me it was time because I could see it was an improvement from his film work.

I must admit the DMR has come a long way further since then with the firmware update as well as Capture One and FlexColor.

And I've stayed ignorant all the time, by the way. Not until a couple of weeks ago did I discover on the forums that there was in fact a lot of satisfied DMR users praising the DMR!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think one of the mistakes you made in your early tests is that you did not have enough time to learn the system.

In particular, we learned that you need to focus carefully on what you want sharp in the image because the focus was much more critical in Digital. Shooting using DOF did not give sharp images.

Avoiding over exposure was important too. I remember a lot of discussion regarding some color fringing on blown highlight on one of your church shots. Part of it was over exposure and some of it was the lens, but everybody wanted to blame the camera.

The DMR is also very critical of lens quality. The latest generation of lenses worked best on it, especially the APO or ASPH lenses. Even though I have the 21-35mm ASPH, if I want the best quality on the wide end, I use my 19mm Elmarit.

In the last few years, the raw processors have also gotten better with the DMR files. Flexcolor still has the best color, but for convenience, I tend to use Lightroom. It is only where there is a need for critical color such as skin tones or there are a lot of reds in a picture that I may try the same image in Flexcolor or Capture one.

Let us know when your DMR arrives and please post some pictures.

Robert