The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the DMR 'bible' - wher is it?

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Guy, as long as you have permission to post the images of the other photographers, there would be no legal problem at all posting it, as the text was already posted in the "Public Domain" with the original, so would still fall under that same category here. Of course, you have my permission as one of the contributors. I likely still have those images also if you want the originals. I think Fred did a clean house on it at one point, and removed all the earlier images anyway. I would remove the moderator comments, and all the PAGE posts & other bug reports :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy, as long as you have permission to post the images of the other photographers, there would be no legal problem at all posting it, as the text was already posted in the "Public Domain" with the original, so would still fall under that same category here. Of course, you have my permission as one of the contributors. I likely still have those images also if you want the originals. I think Fred did a clean house on it at one point, and removed all the earlier images anyway. I would remove the moderator comments, and all the PAGE posts & other bug reports :)

Maybe we should just do it than along with edits and i can get the permissions from folks

PeterA

I think if you are doing an 'edit' the criticism of camera back and camera and lenses and whatever, should be kept though otherwise responses are meaningless...

Guy Mancuso

No the only thing to edit is those bloody turn page stuff out like Chcuk said. i certainly want to leave it in tack as much as possible no question , good, bad or indifferent.

Stuart Richardson

Is it worth it? I think it was great at the time, but a lot of it will be irrelevant based on firmware updates, updated raw conversion programs and so on. Then there are the legal issues and just the man-hours it would take to edit the thing. As Guy said, there are probably more DMR shooters here than anywhere else on the web. If there is a question about the DMR, you can be pretty sure someone here will have the answer. After all, you have three people using the DMR as a dupe machine on this forum. Where else do you think you could find three people all using the DMR for that in one place??

I know I'm going to hear it for saying this, but let the bible die. If what you are looking for is the learning curve that chronicles it well. If you are looking for information, I think most of the posters who weren't a PITA are here. Who cares what people were doing on firmware 1.2 or how many of them didn't focus properly?

That said, there are several people who pulled pdf's of the bible (I think I have some of it somewhere) and if someone were to resurrect it, I give full permission for any image I posted in it to be distributed with the document so long as they are being used for educational purposes.

Guy Mancuso

You guys have good points . I agree not sure how valid a lot of info is at this time with new firmware and even new raw processors. i think everything has been updated since than. You know it's at least a 1.5 years old too. maybe letting it rest in peace is not such a bad idea either, hell we have everyone here.

I think it served a purpose while it was active (it convinced me to buy a DMR!), but I also think it should rest in peace now. And who really wants to try to decipher Guy's typing all over again !!

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If I remember correctly, about the first half of it was converted to PDF at one time. I believe Carsten has information about this, not sure about that one though.

fotografz

Gonna join in on this one guys. I sold my 1DsMKII, and after seeing images from the MKIII, I cancelled my order ... soooooo ... the DMR jumps to the forefront for DSLR work.

Peter, with the new firmware installed, and using Flexcolor to process the DMR/Imacon files, I ran a test at ISO 800 against my Canon 1DMKIII. Both cameras are about the same spec. 10 meg, 1.3X crop factor. Used a Canon 85/1.2 @ f/1.4 and the 80 Lux wide open to shoot some very low light hand held stuff ... no obvious difference in noise levels @ 800, which is something given the 1DMKIII's reputation for high ISO performance. The DMR is much better than it used to be.

Tip: Use Flexcolor, not Lightroom or ACR. The latest Flex had visibly improved the H3D ISO 800 files, so I thought to use it with the DMR 800 files to see what it could do ... and it was a successful insight.

I also solved all my focusing issues with the DMR by adding a Bright Screen Leica R magnifier.

I didn't think this would come up so didn't save the test files in a larger size, but I was surprised how well the DMR tamed fringing compared to the Canon lens on the sample shot of a wedding hat I did just for myself.

The DMR still holds its own.

Leica top, Canon bottom

Last edited:
Mark,
Could you provide a link for the Flexcolor software you used in processing that file? This is really encouraging news! I'm wondering if it will provide a noticeable improvement at 400 asa over the Silkypix software I'm using to process my raw files?

Thanks for your post.

Lawrence

PeterA

Peter, with the new firmware installed, and using Flexcolor to process the DMR/Imacon files, I ran a test at ISO 800 against my Canon 1DMKIII. Both cameras are about the same spec. 10 meg, 1.3X crop factor. Used a Canon 85/1.2 @ f/1.4 and the 80 Lux wide open to shoot some very low light hand held stuff ... no obvious difference in noise levels @ 800, which is something given the 1DMKIII's reputation for high ISO performance. The DMR is much better than it used to be.
hey Marc - thanks for the heads up. I downloaded the software the other day but haven't tried shooting at 800 ISO made a few shots of my daughter and her girlfriends as they were going out to dinner at 400 which looked just fine on my screen - will give 800 a try.

Cheers
Pete

Re: the DMR 'bible' - where is it?

Thanks Mark
I have FlexColor 4.6.5 and wasn't overwhelmed by the noise reduction. Then again... I haven't worked with FlexColor since the latest Leica firmware was released. This latest version appears much improved.
Lawrence

robsteve

Subscriber
I took the time to process some 800iso shots taken with the new firmware using the Latest Flexcolor. It looks much better than the same files done in Lightroom. These images are from the Vanier Cup and had harsh Stadium lighting at the Rogers Centre (SkyDome). I used 800iso and had a grey card to balance from.

Here is the same image, Flexcolor first, then Lightroom.

fotografz

hey Marc - thanks for the heads up. I downloaded the software the other day but haven't tried shooting at 800 ISO made a few shots of my daughter and her girlfriends as they were going out to dinner at 400 which looked just fine on my screen - will give 800 a try.

Cheers
Pete
It'll be interesting to see if we can push it even more with the new software and use of the latest version of Flexcolor.

Sure hope the DMR is supported by Phocus when it arrives. That would be sweet since the work flow is like Lightroom.

woodyspedden

Cheers
Pete
Peter

I had already loaded the newest firmware into the DMR before sending it to you. All you should need to do what Marc has suggested is the flexcolor software

Best

Woody

PeterA

Woody- I noticed - just I like I noticed the 4 spare batteries and the RRS L bracket and the Brightline eyepiece magnifyer..-:) much appreciated mate.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Every time I see a crop from a DMR file, I get that much closer to buying one --- it's what I wanted the 1Ds3 file to look like. I hate to though, because it's "old" technology and the R10 is on the horizon, but a horizon that is probably a year or more off... But given what I saw after waiting on the 1Ds3, and R9/DMR is looking like the viable alternative.