Site Sponsors

Thread: m8 : what is the best bag and SDHC card?

Post Thanks / Like

m8 : what is the best bag and SDHC card?

Hi all

while I await the arrival of my lenses :

1: what is the best Bag to get for the M8 and 2 lenses ( 50mm on the camera and a 90mm in the bag) Im looking for something small and waterproof

2: and which SDHC card is recomended? I am assuming a class 6 or 10 card would be the best?

thanks a bunch!

jimmy8269

Re: m8 : what is the best bag and SDHC card?

1) Billingham Hadley Small
    2) Make it class 10 for faster processing

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy8269 View Post
    1) Billingham Hadley Small
    2) Make it class 10 for faster processing
    - I prefer the Billingham L2 "Alice" personally, but any Billy is excellent.

- Just received the pair of Sandisk 16G cards I ordered (CF and SDHC) for the E-5. The Sandisk SDHC Extreme Class 10 is rated for 30MB/second and runs neck and neck with the Panasonic SDHC 8G Class 10 in this camera on continuous sequence capture.

(BTW: having a pair of 16G cards in the camera is amazing. That's a total of 2100+ raw exposures before I need to clear a card!)

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the Hadley Small and wasn't too happy with it. The style just wasn't for me. I bought the Artisan & Artist Oskar One Day bag and love it. Nice and small with great padding. Fits my M8 with lens and two other lenses perfectly. Also has a small zipped section to fit my extra battery, SD card and external VF.

Post Thanks / Like

For the bag, may I recommend Tamrac 3537 Express 7 bag? Its small and reasonably priced.

Post Thanks / Like

For one body+lens and two additional lenses: Domke F-5XB.

My video review (with suggestions for improvement):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTDlAcDzCgc

Note: I've learned over time that mine is actually a "poor man's" F-5XB, a promo model with a couple of features removed. I still love it for carrying one body + 2 or 3 lenses. It's super compact, and is useful for my Contax RX, and Sony A55, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dude163 View Post
    Hi all

while I await the arrival of my lenses :

1: what is the best Bag to get for the M8 and 2 lenses ( 50mm on the camera and a 90mm in the bag) Im looking for something small and waterproof

thanks a bunch!
    Frankly, almost any bag will do. It's a matter or taste and money. When I got the M7 with the 35 and 90, I went to a nearby and bought a very simple bag, I think from Tamrac, that fitted camera and lens. Still use it when I take the M9 and one extra lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all , ogling the camera isnt making it work without a lens

off to grab a bag and some SDHC cards

cheers!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bag?
    Fogg B-Laika there really isnt another choice :-)

SDHC card? well, I use 16Gb Sandisk, but I think almost any choice will do.

Enjoy at any rate.

Just this guy you know

denoir

I can warmly recommend the Domke F-803.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks all!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The best bag is (JMHO) the ARTISAN & ARTIST* ACAM-7100 BLACK CAMERA BAG.

Just did a quick look and they are on sale at Popflash.

Sandisk Extreme Class 10 8Gb 30mb/s & Sandisk Extreme Class 10 16Gb 30mb/s is what I have been using. Then latest offering from Sandisk Extreme which are now selling are 45mb/s transfer speed.

Good luck with your decisions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post

IMO, that is just a hugely expensive (and admittedly good-looking and very desirable) Domke F-5XB. Basically the same capacity, from the looks of it.

Of course, others will say the Domke is just a hugely expensive Army surplus gas mask bag, or the like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    IMO, that is just a hugely expensive (and admittedly good-looking and very desirable) Domke F-5XB. Basically the same capacity, from the looks of it.
    I used DOMKE J-803 and F-10 (similar but more practical in my eyes to DOMKE 5XB). Very good bags.

Then - my M9 went for calibration with two luxes. Since then - I switched to A&A (ACAM-7100 and Black Label version of ACAM-1000) - as they protect better against accidental hit, that could cause need for re-calibratin.

(If someone would like to get used J-803 or F-10 - you can contact me on priv, thet still are on the shelf).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post

Of course, others will say the Domke is just a hugely expensive Army surplus gas mask bag, or the like.

A little bit different, after looking at both in a camera store, the fit and finish, the padding, the pocket layout, the already gone for broke spending on the purchase of the M9 digital cameras and finally the near perfect color match of my black M8.2 and black M9 was the reason(s) for putting me over the top and deciding to go with the A&A bag.

Post Thanks / Like

A little bit different, after looking at both in a camera store, the fit and finish, the padding, the pocket layout, the already gone for broke spending on the purchase of the M9 digital cameras and finally the near perfect color match of my black M8.2 and black M9 was the reason(s) for putting me over the top and deciding to go with the A&A bag.

I'm really just envious. I can't talk -- I have five (yes) Domke bags, so I have a bit of B.A.S. that I hate to admit to.

I'd like to see some A&A bags in person, but perhaps it's better that I can't!

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm

Post Thanks / Like

Well I just tried the AA Oskar's One Day Bag and I got to say it really didn't do it for me!

The flap velcro is very loud.

The flap doesn't cover the edges very well, so when you are out in the rain it will come right in.

It has a couple of connectors that have no meaning or usefullness.

The front flaps have no zippers, so when the bag is dropped everything falls out.

$200 for a very lightly made bag. This bag is worth a lot less in my opinion, but a lot of people like it so ?????

I am going to try the Billingham Leica and the Hadley Digital and see which will work for my four lens kit.

In the end you will have a tough choice. There is no perfect bag, and you will get a lot of conflicting opinions.

Good Luck

Mark

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

. . . . . I live in Seattle, I take pictures during all four seasons, including rainy days, . . . . . the inside of my A&A ACAM-7100 camera bag or contents have never got wet, nor have the contents ever spilled out. The inside has a clip and strap which cinches the front and back at the top opening and the front flap is large enough that it covers the side where there is no exposed areas.

I will give you that the Velcro does make noise when opening. This has not been a problem for me. Most of my photography is on day trips. I take shots in outdoors setting the majority of the time and the noise certainly would let me know if someone was attempting to get into my bag when shooting in a crowded area. I have a bulky Crumpler bag which has covers for the velcro if the need ever arises for a silent bag to open and close.

It is the most comfortable bag with shoulder strap that I have owned. It holds the M8.2 or M9 with a lens with one or two extra lens, cleaning kit, extra memory card and extra batteries. . . . . . or the bag can carry two cameras with a lens on each with the accessories.

Variety is the spice of life.

... ... ...

Jeff Day

I've got a Fogg, A&A, and a Think Tank Change Up. While all 3 bags are really good, for what you want I think the Think Tank is hard to beat, and is the bag I chose for traveling through Turkey with an M9, SEM 18, summicron 50, and 90. The waterproof cover is wonderful as is the ability to wear it in a lot of different ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Think Tank eh, hmm, that sounds intriguing, I also am looking at a timbuk2 photo satchel

Post Thanks / Like

How about Tenba Messenger ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just did a quick look and they are on sale at Popflash.

Sandisk Extreme Class 10 8Gb 30mb/s & Sandisk Extreme Class 10 16Gb 30mb/s is what I have been using. Then latest offering from Sandisk Extreme which are now selling are 45mb/s transfer speed.

Good luck with your decisions.
    I agree with Dan. I have this bag and have never had anything better (and I've had many).

As for cards, I use 8MB, since even shooting Raw I can get near 700 images. Don't know why you'd want more on one card. And I'm not worried about processing time with the M8, so about any decent brand will do. I have about 8 or 9 Sandisk cards that work well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Dan - based on your reccommendation and others, I recently picked up the A&A 7100. Couldn't be happier.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bags are a tricky thing. Being optimistic I'm still looking for the ideal bag while having a large number (don't really know, but it's over 20) around here. Not all for Leicas of course. The Domke 803 I use for a lot more equipment than mentioned, as I don't like bags that are too large.

The best value in cards I've found are Transcend. The class 10 are maybe 5 to 10% faster in practice than the class 6, but if I buy cards right now they're the class 10 as I have other cameras that make better use of the speed, and the price isn't that much. I have never had a failure with a Transcend, but have had a couple each with Lexar and Sandisk.

Henning

Studio58

In my search for a new bag I have discovered this forum :-). I need a bag for my Leica M8, M9, 24 Elmarit & 35,50,75 Crons. I like the Artisan 7100 but fear it may be slightly too small for my gear. Anyone able to confirm that ? If that is the case the A&A Acam 1000 looks great from what I can see online.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think AA 7100 is a little small for all that gear. I currently have in mine the following:

M8, CV 15, CV 21, 28 Cron,50 Cron, CV 75, 90 Elmarit. Not sure it would all work with the second body, although a friend of mine carries two bodies and several lenses in his 7100, but he modified it by taking out the padding on the ends. He puts the bodies there so they are padded on the sides and the lens side, but not the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Going to buy the A&A 7100 right away looks very functional and under stated.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I agree with Dan. I have this bag and have never had anything better (and I've had many).
    +1 for me on the bag ...

I have the Black Label Bag clone (from Photovillage.com in NY) of the ACAM 7100. Virtually identical, adds a small zippered card and photo wipe pocket on the outside, and fully weather sealed zippers. Since I bought it in May, it's the only bag I've used. It fits the GXR kit beautifully, and fits a Leica M kit the same. It's larger than the Alice L1 and larger than the Domke F5XB, but doesn't feel like it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use a ThinkTank Retrospective 5 for my M8. Excellent construction and just the right size.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO