The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m8 : what is the best bag and SDHC card?

dude163

Hi all

while I await the arrival of my lenses :

1: what is the best Bag to get for the M8 and 2 lenses ( 50mm on the camera and a 90mm in the bag) Im looking for something small and waterproof

2: and which SDHC card is recomended? I am assuming a class 6 or 10 card would be the best?

thanks a bunch!

J

jimmy8269

1) Billingham Hadley Small
2) Make it class 10 for faster processing

Godfrey

1) Billingham Hadley Small
2) Make it class 10 for faster processing
- I prefer the Billingham L2 "Alice" personally, but any Billy is excellent.

- Just received the pair of Sandisk 16G cards I ordered (CF and SDHC) for the E-5. The Sandisk SDHC Extreme Class 10 is rated for 30MB/second and runs neck and neck with the Panasonic SDHC 8G Class 10 in this camera on continuous sequence capture.

(BTW: having a pair of 16G cards in the camera is amazing. That's a total of 2100+ raw exposures before I need to clear a card!)

rsolti13

I tried the Hadley Small and wasn't too happy with it. The style just wasn't for me. I bought the Artisan & Artist Oskar One Day bag and love it. Nice and small with great padding. Fits my M8 with lens and two other lenses perfectly. Also has a small zipped section to fit my extra battery, SD card and external VF.

mathomas

For one body+lens and two additional lenses: Domke F-5XB.

My video review (with suggestions for improvement):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTDlAcDzCgc

Note: I've learned over time that mine is actually a "poor man's" F-5XB, a promo model with a couple of features removed. I still love it for carrying one body + 2 or 3 lenses. It's super compact, and is useful for my Contax RX, and Sony A55, too.

GMB

Hi all

while I await the arrival of my lenses :

1: what is the best Bag to get for the M8 and 2 lenses ( 50mm on the camera and a 90mm in the bag) Im looking for something small and waterproof

thanks a bunch!
Frankly, almost any bag will do. It's a matter or taste and money. When I got the M7 with the 35 and 90, I went to a nearby and bought a very simple bag, I think from Tamrac, that fitted camera and lens. Still use it when I take the M9 and one extra lens.

dude163

Thanks all , ogling the camera isnt making it work without a lens :)

off to grab a bag and some SDHC cards

cheers!

jonoslack

Bag?
Fogg B-Laika there really isnt another choice :)

SDHC card? well, I use 16Gb Sandisk, but I think almost any choice will do.

Enjoy at any rate.

seakayaker

The best bag is (JMHO) the ARTISAN & ARTIST* ACAM-7100 BLACK CAMERA BAG.

Just did a quick look and they are on sale at Popflash.

Sandisk Extreme Class 10 8Gb 30mb/s & Sandisk Extreme Class 10 16Gb 30mb/s is what I have been using. Then latest offering from Sandisk Extreme which are now selling are 45mb/s transfer speed.

Good luck with your decisions.

mathomas

The best bag is (JMHO) the ARTISAN & ARTIST* ACAM-7100 BLACK CAMERA BAG.

IMO, that is just a hugely expensive (and admittedly good-looking and very desirable) Domke F-5XB. Basically the same capacity, from the looks of it.

Of course, others will say the Domke is just a hugely expensive Army surplus gas mask bag, or the like.

:D

Jerry_R

IMO, that is just a hugely expensive (and admittedly good-looking and very desirable) Domke F-5XB. Basically the same capacity, from the looks of it.
I used DOMKE J-803 and F-10 (similar but more practical in my eyes to DOMKE 5XB). Very good bags.

Then - my M9 went for calibration with two luxes. Since then - I switched to A&A (ACAM-7100 and Black Label version of ACAM-1000) - as they protect better against accidental hit, that could cause need for re-calibratin.

(If someone would like to get used J-803 or F-10 - you can contact me on priv, thet still are on the shelf).

seakayaker

Of course, others will say the Domke is just a hugely expensive Army surplus gas mask bag, or the like.

:D
A little bit different, after looking at both in a camera store, the fit and finish, the padding, the pocket layout, the already gone for broke spending on the purchase of the M9 digital cameras and finally the near perfect color match of my black M8.2 and black M9 was the reason(s) for putting me over the top and deciding to go with the A&A bag.
:ROTFL:
:loco:

mathomas

A little bit different, after looking at both in a camera store, the fit and finish, the padding, the pocket layout, the already gone for broke spending on the purchase of the M9 digital cameras and finally the near perfect color match of my black M8.2 and black M9 was the reason(s) for putting me over the top and deciding to go with the A&A bag.
:ROTFL:
:loco:
:)

I'm really just envious. I can't talk -- I have five (yes) Domke bags, so I have a bit of B.A.S. that I hate to admit to.

I'd like to see some A&A bags in person, but perhaps it's better that I can't!

Mark Steber

Well I just tried the AA Oskar's One Day Bag and I got to say it really didn't do it for me!

The flap velcro is very loud.

The flap doesn't cover the edges very well, so when you are out in the rain it will come right in.

It has a couple of connectors that have no meaning or usefullness.

The front flaps have no zippers, so when the bag is dropped everything falls out.

$200 for a very lightly made bag. This bag is worth a lot less in my opinion, but a lot of people like it so ?????

I am going to try the Billingham Leica and the Hadley Digital and see which will work for my four lens kit.

In the end you will have a tough choice. There is no perfect bag, and you will get a lot of conflicting opinions.

Good Luck

Mark

seakayaker

. . . . . I live in Seattle, I take pictures during all four seasons, including rainy days, . . . . . the inside of my A&A ACAM-7100 camera bag or contents have never got wet, nor have the contents ever spilled out. The inside has a clip and strap which cinches the front and back at the top opening and the front flap is large enough that it covers the side where there is no exposed areas.

I will give you that the Velcro does make noise when opening. This has not been a problem for me. Most of my photography is on day trips. I take shots in outdoors setting the majority of the time and the noise certainly would let me know if someone was attempting to get into my bag when shooting in a crowded area. I have a bulky Crumpler bag which has covers for the velcro if the need ever arises for a silent bag to open and close.

It is the most comfortable bag with shoulder strap that I have owned. It holds the M8.2 or M9 with a lens with one or two extra lens, cleaning kit, extra memory card and extra batteries. . . . . . or the bag can carry two cameras with a lens on each with the accessories.

Variety is the spice of life.

... ... ...
:D :D :D

J

Jeff Day

I've got a Fogg, A&A, and a Think Tank Change Up. While all 3 bags are really good, for what you want I think the Think Tank is hard to beat, and is the bag I chose for traveling through Turkey with an M9, SEM 18, summicron 50, and 90. The waterproof cover is wonderful as is the ability to wear it in a lot of different ways.