The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sandisk 16 or 32 GB Extreme Pro

John Black

I need to buy a couple cards and want to try the Sandisk 45 MB/sec cards for quicker downloads. These cards. After searching some forums, it's the usual - they work fine and other people say they are losing images... So, are Sandisk 45 MB/sec cards working okay for you?

David Schneider

You might want to take a look at Transcend 32 gb 400x cf card. For $75-80 it's probably the best value out there. I've used it in my Hasselblad H3d3-39 and Canon 5dmk2. I never had a worry about lost images: I had my wedding photographer use this card for my daughter's wedding.

D&A

I too will vouch for Transcend cards in general. I've used both their various CF and SD (&SDHC) cards from almost the beginning since they've introduced them and out of dozens and dozens of different cards, only one SDHC card physically developed a crack in its shell and metal contacts wouldn't make full contact with any reader. Luckily I had nothing on the card at the time. Other than that, never a hicup, lost image or any issue. I'm sure many can find any major brand of card where something went wrong and they swear off that brand of card...but so far so good with Transcend (coming from someone who primarily used Sandisk and Lexar in the early days.

Dave (D&A)

Dave

bradhusick

I always buy Sandisk for work I can't afford to lose and I use a couple of 32GB cards in my M9 and CF cards in my Canon gear. For point and shoot work I use off-brand cards.

John Black

I have no issue with Sandisk cards. My question about the 45 MB/Sec Extreme Pro's was prompted because by various threads on the L-Camera and DPreview. Posters wrote about their M9's locking up, losing images were and computers not recognizing the cards. There were enough threads / comments to make feel uneasy about those cards.

For the Canon 1Ds3 I have some 45 MB/sec CF cards and downloading images feels so much faster than the 15 MB/sec the SDHC Ulta cards I use in the M9 (they are 15/MB/sec). In fairness, the 15 MB/sec Ultra cards have been fine, just slow on the download. Nowadays it's a mere $18.99 for 8 GB Sandisk Ultra. So cheap...

weinschela

Subscriber Member
The Sandisk work fine but be careful from whom you buy as there are a lot of counterfeit Sandisk out there. I have used Transcend 16GB Class 10 without a problem; also Ridata and Toshiba 16GB class 10. I have also used a variety of other Transcend sizes/speeds w/o a problem. I make it a practice to reformat when reusing a card.

John Black

Alan - the Sandisk Class 10 Extreme cards (30 MB/sec) have been discontinued (at least according to B&H), leaving the choice to move up to the newer 45 MB/sec cards, or going slower.

rsolti13

I have used Transcend cards twice and both times I have had issues where after I shot about 300 images and go to load on my computer the card shows no images. Put the card back in the camera and everything gone. I had to use some file retrieve software to save the images. I have never had a single problem with Sandisk. Never going cheap again for me.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
John I'm using the Sandisk Extreme Class 10 cards with no problems at all in my M9. I've also got a couple Lexar Professional cards that do well also. The Sandisk Ultra's that I bought though are far too slow for me both on download and for shooting. I knew better. Nothing but Class 10 cards for me from now on.

If in doubt, I would email Leica support and ask their recommendation on the newer cards. Or call Sandisk directly. I'm sure both have tested these cards with an M9.

CharlesK

John, I have been using the Sandisk Ultra Pro, 45 mb/sec, with no problems. I use the firewire 800 with the Macbook Pro 17" down loading while traveling. At home it is a plug in USB 2.0 card reader, until they upgrade the card readers to USB 3.0. This is quite fast, but more importantly reliable so far!

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I have a whole pile of Transcend 16GB since they're so cheap, and also two 16GB Sandisk Extremes. The latter are significantly faster. Never lost a single image using SD cards - wish I could say the same about CF where every camera I've had has had tons of random problems. The cheap Transcends are great for international travel where I need to keep up a month's worth of shooting on them until I get home. (They get backed up to my laptop, but the cards aren't deleted until I can store the images somewhere safe.)

Fates

I use one 32gig 45mbs Scandisk card. It writes faster which means that extra sliver of prolonged battery life too. So far no issues on the M9...

David Schneider

From what I've seen in 12-13 yrs of being digital is most card problems are caused by user doing something stupid like pulling card out while camera is still reading, filling up the card to capacity, turning camera off while writing, etc. Or there's a glitch with the card reader like momentary loss of power or bad connection with card and that happens more often than the card itself failing.

I've had to recover from all sorts of brands of cards in different brands and types of cameras. It's a pain when that happens but I have recovered at least 98.5% of images that got screwed up with PhotoRescue by www.datarescue.com. Think I've been using their software for over 9 +years now.

D&A

David,

I mostly agree with you, as I having been using all sorts of cards since digitals inception many years ago...first with PCMCIA cards in the behemoth Kodak DCA hybrid cameras, then CF (microdrives as well as solid state) and finially SDHC. Rarely a glitch with any, but as you say, proper protocol for using these cards (as you outlined usual problematic situations) were strictly adhered to. Still a card r two can give issues and I too have used some sort of data recovery and for the most part its been successful.

Dave (D&A)

CharlesK

Just thought I would add to my previous note in the forum, I have been using a Sandisk, 16GB Extreme Pro, 45mb/s, and it after about 6 weeks of use, it came with the message "full" after 20 shots. Tried to reformat completely on the M9, it formatted correctly, but still "full". Same problem when I installed the card on the other M9. I replaced it with the Sandisk 16 GB Extreme 30gb/sec, and no further problems. Maybe a compatibility issue, or a faulty card.