The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Leica X1 v2.0 Firmware is Official

Paratom

Finally.
I had hoped for better AF as well-lets see how much it has improved.
The MF things are nice, however I guess I prefer AF for such a camera.
Anyways, I am looking forward to any improvement because I like the x1, even though it has some flaws.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sorry was delayed in getting this up.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NEW: LEICA ANNOUNCES FIRMWARE UPDATE FOR LEICA X1

Allendale, NJ (March 28, 2011) - Leica Camera Inc. is pleased to announce a firmware update for its high-performance digital compact camera, the LEICA X1. Users wishing to benefit from the new offerings can download the firmware update from the Leica website and take advantage of new, improved features beginning Tuesday March 29, 2011.

The new X1 firmware offers the following features and benefits:

· Improved manual focusing, with the focus screen showing the image based on an open aperture
· More accurate manual focusing with finer steps, when scrolling slowly with the click wheel
· Two manual focusing speeds for more accurate and faster manual focus operation
· Manual focusing lock now available
· Enlarged manual focusing scale display
· Depth of field scale displayed in manual focusing mode
· Manual focus settings retained in memory when camera is switched off
· Improved autofocus speed in low light conditions and with low contrast subjects, in particular when shooting multiple images of the same subject
· ISO setting displayed in Auto ISO mode
· Improved JPEG image quality

For more information, please visit: http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/compact_cameras/x1.

About the Leica X1
The Leica X1 delivers the best picture quality among compact cameras. This elegant camera features a 12.2 megapixel CMOS image sensor in APS-C format, identical in size to those used in semi-professional DSLR cameras. Each individual pixel has a generous surface area and collects more light, therefore ensuring low noise levels, high dynamic range and accurate color differentiation. Expressed in terms of 35mm film format, the X1’s Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 ASPH lens has the same coverage as the legendary 35 mm focal length. While its numerous automatic functions make the X1 extremely fast and intuitive to use, its manual control options enable the photographer to maintain concentration on the creative aspects of the composition.

Pricing and availability
The LEICA X1 (in steel grey or black) is available from Leica dealers for $1,995.00. For a list of Leica dealers, please visit http://us.leica-camera.com.

jonoslack

At last!
I think the most significant issue really is the manual focus lock - with the memory - allowing you to set a hyperfocal distance and have it come on by default.

I'll look forward to getting it tomorrow - now it's off to bed!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
At last!
I think the most significant issue really is the manual focus lock - with the memory - allowing you to set a hyperfocal distance and have it come on by default.

I'll look forward to getting it tomorrow - now it's off to bed!
So, an early night for you?:ROTFL:

Bob

Paratom

Just installed it.
Initial impressions:
- the manual focus options are nice - I still think AF is how I would prefer to use this camera

- I feel the AF improvement is there for me. Most important the fact that once the AF has adjusted to a certain distance it doesnt have to go back and forth when you focus again. This means I can first focus on the subject and when I wait for the right moment and the subject only moves slightly the AF speed is much faster than with old firmware.

-what I totally do not understand: auto iso setting, longest exp time: still 1/30 as shortest option. Why not 1/60,1/125,1/250 ???? (like in other Leica cameras) This makes auto iso in A mode unusable for everything where moving people are in the image. I see absolutly no reason why this is the case, I tol it to Leica 6 months ago, and they didnt do anything about it.
Can anybody here explain me the reason or if there is any sense behind this ???

-I still believe the x1 is the best compromise between size, weight, functionality and IQ for a portable camera (for me)

kuau

Workshop Member
Loaded 2.0 on my x1, seems to be working well. I only shoot at base ISO and use "A" mode
I can't really tell if AF is any faster, but for my use pocket camera, it still rocks and even with the X100 shiping soon, I am happy with my x1 nice and small and excellent IQ
X100 is a bigger camera, not as pocketable as X1 and I always use the external leica vf

Steven

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I have loaded it and the AF is marginally better while the MF is significantly better. Might actually induce me to start using MF more. Before the upgrade, MF on this camera was an utter mess.