Site Sponsors

Thread: Canon Leica Screw Mount lenses.

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Canon Leica Screw Mount lenses.

I've seen several posts over the months on the older Canon Leica Screw Mount lenses which can be used on the Leica M bodies (or the RD-1) with a simple screw on adapter.

Here is a link to the Canon Museum on the various screw mount Canon lenses.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Canon Leica Screw Mount lenses.

Good topic John! I have been using a 50 mm f1.4 LTM lately with my MP and it is very good indeed; I will post some pics as soon as they will be ready. Plus, I got it for a bargain price - I am a very happy camper!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like

The Canon 50 1.4 is also one of my favourites, but the Canon 28 2.8 is a close second for me.
    Cheers Volker

http://yvhtechnologies.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am getting a 50 /1.4 next week ...can't wait
    love way its draws .... Crisp & Creamy

How about the 'serenar' lenses / perhaps more Contrast Looks Lovely
    Whats are your thoughts John, Vieri & Volkerhopf

Thanx!
    Helen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anyone tried a Serenar 85mm (f/1.9 or f/2)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    I am getting a 50 /1.4 next week ...can't wait
    love way its draws .... Crisp & Creamy

How about the 'serenar' lenses / perhaps more Contrast Looks Lovely
    Whats are your thoughts John, Vieri & Volkerhopf

Thanx!
    Helen
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Hi Helen, I never had a Serenar lens myself but I was told that there is not really optically a difference to the "Canon" lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool...... Thank YOU Volkerhopf

Post Thanks / Like

I trawled a lot of threads to get to this one and thought it better to resurrect this thread than start a new one.

I need a 50 mm lens but finances are against me so I'm thinking of getting an old Canon LTM for [filtered] colour and B&W. I wonder if any more can be added to this thread about the usability of Canon 50s on an M8? I'd like an f 1.2 but it's a stretch to the prices I'm seeing for decent spec's, but I'd be really interested in how decent the open aperture performance is on M8.

Alternatively, how does the f1.4 perform at open apertures? I am far more interested in definition than out-of-focus performance - maybe I'd be better of with a new CV Nokton f1.5? Lots of variables here I know but I'd appreciate feedback.

I've trawled some noted American dealers sites and it's apparent that there are a lot of old Nikon RF, and old Contax RF [not 'G'] lenses sitting on shelves. As I haven't seen an adapter to LTM or 'M' for these lenses am I right to assume there's a technical issue restricting their use on Leica cameras? I hope I'm not flogging a dead thread as I note others are interested in the performance of old lenses.

........... Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got a 50/1.2 for my IIIG and also use it on my M8. I like the way it draws. Both wide open on an M8.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, about your question in Nikon and Contax lenses. They did not use a Leica thread mount but a bayonet type mount with focus controlled from the body.

Details....

But both did make Lenses in the LTM.

A nice story on how David Douglas Duncan brought Nikon to the LTM.

Mike Johnston

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    But only Carl Zeiss Jena (Democratic Republic of Germany, aka East Germany) and only after the war. Optically, a lot of these are very nice lenses, but they tended to come in nasty aluminum mounts.

Post Thanks / Like

John - Thank you for posting, and the links. I greatly respect David Douglas Duncan's work, I saw his Korean War images when studying photography many years ago and it made a lasting impression; I'll read the article you linked when I have time to savour it. Thanks also for the explanation about early Contax and Nikon RF fits; though I can't help thinking what a shame it is that good glass collects dust on shelves because it can't be levered onto the M8.

Your image posts are useful so thank you, but I don't trust myself to judge a lens from J-pegs shoe-horned onto the internet so I wonder if you could comment more about the wide open performance of the f1.2 and the lens's characteristics on stopping down. I'm usually an f8 and be there guy, but on a 50 mm I'll be interested in more-open aperture work.

Anybody got anything to add on the Canon f1.4?. I know that there is interest in these lenses for M8 use but written comment seems sparse on the forum. All input gratefully received.

............. Chris

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    I wonder if you could comment more about the wide open performance of the f1.2 and the lens's characteristics on stopping down. I'm usually an f8 and be there guy, but on a 50 mm I'll be interested in more-open aperture work.

Anybody got anything to add on the Canon f1.4?. I know that there is interest in these lenses for M8 use but written comment seems sparse on the forum. All input gratefully received.
    The Canon 50/1.2 was considered a special-purpose lens in its day and has a very distinct "look": full-aperture imaging is characterized by a fairly sharp central core surrounded by a rather large, less-sharp halo; this gives a merely mushy, low-contrast look to unsuitable subjects, but a nice "glow" to suitable ones. It cleans up considerably as you stop it down, but in my experience it's still less sharp at, say, f/5.6 than either the 50/1.4 or the 50/0.95 (!)

The 50/1.2 also is very susceptible to flare from light sources just outside (or in) the picture area, so a lens hood is a must-have investment. Fortunately it takes standard 55mm accessories, although be careful if you use filters -- the front element is more convex than most, and some thick filters may rub on it when screwed in. (Canon made a special series of filters mounted flush to the front of the retaining ring, as well as a vented lens hood of impressive size that's now rather expensive)

The Canon 50/1.4 is a different breed of cat altogether -- its performance is very, very close to current designs such as the 50/1.5 Voigtlander Nokton Aspherical, and you can pretty much use it the same way you'd use a modern all-purpose 50mm lens. Its contrast is lower, but many people like that for digital use.

Another thing that makes it appealing is its very compact size, made possible by the fact that it's one of the few 50mm f/1.4 lenses for 24x36mm that used only 6 elements! Canon was able to do this without compromising performance by two things: using then-new types of high index optical glass, and by using thick, radically-curved inner elements. My take: Most manufacturers then and now probably would have chosen more but shallower elements with easier-to-make curves, for the sake of more consistent manufacturability, but I suspect Canon was in show-off mode here and did it this way not only for compactness, but just "because we can!" (The same philosophy is on view inside the 50/0.95, which provided surprisingly usable performance with only seven elements and no aspherics.)

Post Thanks / Like

Ranger - Many thanks for your reply which is very useful feedback, and it's good to see this stuff in print in an easy to find thread in the archive.

........ Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John - Thank you for posting, and the links. I greatly respect David Douglas Duncan's work, I saw his Korean War images when studying photography many years ago and it made a lasting impression; I'll read the article you linked when I have time to savour it. Thanks also for the explanation about early Contax and Nikon RF fits; though I can't help thinking what a shame it is that good glass collects dust on shelves because it can't be levered onto the M8.

Your image posts are useful so thank you, but I don't trust myself to judge a lens from J-pegs shoe-horned onto the internet so I wonder if you could comment more about the wide open performance of the f1.2 and the lens's characteristics on stopping down. I'm usually an f8 and be there guy, but on a 50 mm I'll be interested in more-open aperture work.

............. Chris
    Wish I could help but I've never shot it other than wide open. Go check the Canon Rangefinder Forum for their observation.

You might find this list handy for LTM Sonnar type lenses.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    Brilliant John - Another great lens link; I clicked to check it out and have come back an hour later to say thanks, there's a lot of wonderful collated information on that wonderful site.

............. Chris

doubledan

Can't comment on the other rf Canons, but I have a beautiful example of the 50 1.4. I use it wide open almost all the time, as the fast lens in my 3-lens film rangefinder kit, and also as an amazing 100mm-equivalent portrait lens (via adapter) on the Panasonic G1.

I think it's true that it's less contrasty than modern lenses, but that can actually be an advantage in portraiture -- and also in bright outdoor light, as sean reid has noted in comparison tests that included this lens.

The one drawback is that it doesn't focus quite as closely as newer Leica and ZM (and I presume CV) lenses. But for my purposes that hasn't been a problem.

For its compactness, performance and price, I believe it can't be beat. The esthetic payoff is that several people who've seen my photos with this lens, including those whose portraits I've made, have said without prompting that there's something "special" about the quality of the pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

The Canon 50mm f/1.5 LTM is my favourite:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doubledan View Post
    ....... I have a beautiful example of the 50 1.4. I use it wide open almost all the time........... it's true that it's less contrasty than modern lenses.....
    Doubledan - I think the case for the f1.4 is a good one and I'm being persuaded, however :

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    The Canon 50mm f/1.5 LTM is my favourite
    Hacker you are a tease. I'm not sure if it's your favourite in appearance, or it's 'drawing'.

With the M8, the likely use of fast lenses is in light conditions liable to give IR problems. Given the odd filter sizes of the Canon RF lenses [eg 48 for the f1.4, and 40 for the f1.5] how do you manage IR filter/lens hood combinations? Or is the answer to live with the consequences and best efforts in PP? [Not a wedding tux' solution with colour though].

................ Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look at some step up rings. For Hoods and rings see Heavystar.

Remember Helopan and B+W IR cut filter work also. I have to use a 72mm for my Canon 50/0.95.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

With the M8, the likely use of fast lenses is in light conditions liable to give IR problems. Given the odd filter sizes of the Canon RF lenses [eg 48 for the f1.4, and 40 for the f1.5] how do you manage IR filter/lens hood combinations? Or is the answer to live with the consequences and best efforts in PP? [Not a wedding tux' solution with colour though].

................ Chris
    Chris,

Non Leica UV/IR filters include the 72mm for the Canon f/0.95, the 62mm for the Hexanon 60mm, the 58mm for the Canon 100mm, the 48mm even for the Nikkor 8.5cm, and lots of other sizes. The only issue I have right now is that B+W has stopped special orders for the 40mm (include the Canon 35mm f/2), and the only one available is more than $200 from Rayqual. But they work.

Otherwise, I will just shoot B/W or use a step up ring.

Stephen

Ranger 9

Hacker you are a tease. I'm not sure if it's your favourite in appearance, or it's 'drawing'.
    Presumably he's a fan of the Sonnar lens design, used on the 50mm f/1.5 Zeiss, um, Sonnar and the old 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor rangefinder lens as well as the Canon 50/1.5 and various other high-speed lenses of the '30s to early '50s.

The Sonnar design was intended to minimize the number of air-glass surfaces in the lens, which was an important consideration before lens coating became widely available in the late 1940s. An excessive number of uncoated air-glass surfaces caused flare and a loss of light transmission, so the Sonnar consolidated as many lens elements as possible into cemented groups. This consolidation reduced the lens designer's latitude for controlling lens aberrations, but in the pre-coating era this was considered a good tradeoff for reduced flare and light loss.

The advent of lens coating so dramatically reduced the surface-reflection problem that the symmetrical double-Gauss lens design, which always had been known to be theoretically superior, became practical for use in high-speed optics, and the Sonnar type mostly faded away for 50mm lens use by the late 1950s, when the Leica Summicron and Summilux, the Canon 50/1.4, and other more modern designs began to be introduced.

However, the Sonnar-type lens' distinctive palette of aberrations gives its images a "vintage" look that many users find appealing. It's always a bit tricky describing such a qualitative trait in words, but I'd say that the Sonnar "look" includes good texture contrast, good central sharpness, a gradual fall-off in sharpness toward the corners, and (the cool bit) a haziness to highlights at wide apertures that gives the light in a scene an almost tangible presence, like a hint of early-morning fog.

If you're looking for a 50 that has the same characteristics and can be used the same way as a modern 50mm lens, the Canon 50/1.4 is an excellent choice; basically it IS an early (and successful) example of the modern style of 50mm lens design.

If you're looking for a 50 that gives up some corner-to-corner sharpness but conveys a bit more of the look of the golden age of magazine photojournalism, the Canon 50/1.5 or another Sonnar-type lens might be worth seeking out.

All just my opinion, of course...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    .... just my opinion, of course...
    And gratefully received. I've made loads of notes since I revisited this thread and some of the tremendous links lead to great reference reading. I have a clear idea of what these lenses are about, so thanks to all who shared their knowledge.

.............. Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a picture that I think shows the Sonnar look. It's taken with a "Russkie-Sonnar," the Jupiter-8, stopped down 1/2 stop to f/2.5 or so. Stopping down just slightly gets rid of most of the "mush" you get totally wide open, but keeps the vintage look. I slightly increased the contrast on this shot in post-processing.

The IR filter and hood are 46mm, mounted with a cheap and readily available 40.5 to 46mm step-up ring.

I really like this look for certain kinds of pictures, and this is one of them. Time machine.

--Peter
    Last edited by Peter Klein; 12th April 2010 at 19:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you want to look at Zeiss and other European options I recommend this book.

Non-Leitz LEICA Thread-Mount Lenses - A 39mm Diversity by Marc James Small

It doesn't cover Asian lenses.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

my favorit:

25/3.4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Klein View Post
    Here is a picture that I think shows the Sonnar look. It's taken with a "Russkie-Sonnar," the Jupiter-8, stopped down 1/2 stop to f/2.5 or so. Stopping down just slightly gets rid of most of the "mush" you get totally wide open, but keeps the vintage look. I slightly increased the contrast on this shot in post-processing.

The IR filter and hood are 46mm, mounted with a cheap and readily available 40.5 to 46mm step-up ring.

I really like this look for certain kinds of pictures, and this is one of them. Time machine.

--Peter
    Wonderful---subject and rendering.

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone using the Canon 100mm F2 or any of the Canon 85mm's (F1.5, 1.8, 1.9 or 2.0) on their Leica M9?

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the 85/2 on my M8 with good results, and will use it with the M9.

It is slightly softer and lower contrast than the Nikkor 8.5cm f2, and is also longer and heavier. It is a Planar formula lens, the Nikkor is a simplified Sonnar forumula lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brian -

I've been slowly working through the webpages a-la Google and have come across some please looking images. Most are with the RD-1, not many from the M9. When it comes to picking an LTM adapter, is one any better or any worse?

Post Thanks / Like

What about the Nikkor-P.C 10.5cm 1:2.5 in LTM? Anyone have any examples? Preferably full frame but interested in M8 as well sorry if that is off-topic but I figured it's *similar*

Post Thanks / Like

The "Voigtlander" brand adapters are the best of the modern adapters. The Chinese adapters are "okay" for 50mm lenses where the thickness is not as important because the cam moves 1:1 with the optics. On a wide-angle or tele-photo lens, the thickness of the adapter is critical. The Leitz brand adapters are good, but old- and I have seen some that get banged up. I have never seen a Voigtlander adapter give a problem.

Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, wide-open on the Leica M9.

Used with a Vintage Leitz adapter, M3/M2 generation.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Brian I just ordered one!

Oh, how do you frame 105mm Brian? Just slightly inside the 90mm framelines?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Yes, I like it for portraits.

Including portraits of flowers, like this one
    Tulip after rain

Post Thanks / Like

Dan,
    I think you'll like the Nikkor 10.5cm. Here's a shot with it on the M8 wide open. Horizontal crop. I like the color rendition.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rod! I look forward to trying it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 90mm framelines for the 105 and the 75mm framelines for the 85 focal length lens. Treat the inner portion of the framelines as a 100% view.