The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Modified M9 Luigi case for Thumbs Up

seattlesteve

I picked up a Luigi case last week but had the dilema of wanting to use both the case and the Thumbs Up. I had seen a few cases that had the case pre-modified for this use, but I have always liked Luigi's stuff so I stuck with his case. The case came pre-stitched to accomodate the cutting, but the shop I purchased it from didn't want to do it and recommended someone that works with leather as it can be tricky.

I contemplated doing this myself, but decided that I: 1) don't have the tools and 2) don't have the skill of a craftsman. Even though it seems pretty straight forward I brought it to a local shoemaker and had it 'professionally' done within about 5 minutes all at a cost of US$3.

It turned into a nice photo story as well watching him cut, stitch and shave the case. The end result is great. I have the best of both worlds now, a beautifully made Luigi case and the added handling of the Thumbs Up grip.

Tools of the trade

Reinforcing the stitching where he planned to cut. Probably unnecessary, but no complaints from me.

Cutting and adding finishing touches

End result

Last edited:
D

disambiguated

I had seen a few cases that had the case pre-modified for this use, but I have always liked Luigi's stuff so I stuck with his case.
You do realize you could've just ordered the case directly from Luigi with the modification already performed, right?

seattlesteve

You do realize you could've just ordered the case directly from Luigi with the modification already performed, right?
Yes, I realize that, but I was in HKG last weekend and one of my favorite shops had some in stock. Knowing my own flaws, impatience being a one of them, I didn't want to wait. :eek: