The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I am taking M8 to Amazon...

bradhusick

The M8 is not weather-resistant, so do something to protect it from rain - even a shower cap can help. Don't forget to take small towels to quickly wipe off your photo gear if it does get wet.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Also watch the humidity and going out from air conditioning to outside. Guarantee you will fog up been to Brazil about three times and you have to watch this and give the camera's a chance to warm up about a half hour. Given the M lenses are not sealed you may even get moisture in between the elements.

robertwright

just got back from bhutan and india, monsoon season, and the M8 was fine. In delhi, it was 100% humidity and the camera was cold from the plane, but warmed up quickly and worked fine.

In bhutan, on and off rain, kept the camera under my shirt between frames, not a problem.

I think if you take reasonable precautions you will be fine. The lack of weather sealing might in fact be a boon, plus the metal body, it warms up fast going from indoors to outdoors. Also I have a regular domke bag for it, so it is not 'sealed' and while it holds some of the cool of the hotel for example, the humid outdoor air mixes in quickly and the camera warms up. In the past with sealed cases like pelicans I have had more trouble with fogging.
anyway, the less AC the better in my opinion for your health! enjoy the trip.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Two essential parts of kit: a Pelican case and a generous amount of Silicagel...I look forward to your images:thumbup:

robsteve

Subscriber
Didn't the old Leica scre mounts have a "Tropical" case or something to that effect? I think it was tin and sealed for moisture.