Site Sponsors

Thread: Zeiss lens squeaks, help

MannyGS

Zeiss lens squeaks, help

The focusing ring on my Zeiss 50mm ZM C Sonnar squeaks when turned towards infinity. Sometimes it even gives off a rattle. What's the problem with the lens, lubrication? Who are the best persons who can repair the lens? Thanks for your input, guys.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zeiss lens squeaks, help

Heh. Mine does that too, actually...

My guess is they screwed up the greasing operation at the factory. It seems that the grease squeezes out of the helicoid, making focus action very easy in some spots, more rough in others. I don't know if yours has "the wobble issue" as well, or if it's related - but mine does (slightly). Finally, yes - mine squeaks in some spots as well.

I think this will be the first lens I send back to Zeiss for some work. I'm debating whether or not to get it optimized for f/1.5 while they have it (it's tuned for f/2.8, the default).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is it an early lens? I had an issue with my 25/2.8 that I bought in Japan right after the ZM lens line came out. It had this un-smooth, slightly squeaky focus ring. It still took incredible pictures though. I sent it to Zeiss in Germany this winter and it came back fantastic. It is extremely smooth and well damped now. The repair turn-around time was a few days, not including shipping, though shipping was quick. Looking at the emails, it was received January 25th, and returned on the 31st...got in on a Tuesday, left on a Monday. Repair was 145 euro (mine was out of warranty), not including shipping (can't seem to find that now, but it was reasonable and returned via DHL or Fedex). If you can stomach paying the repair cost, I think you will be very happy with the work they do.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Gus Lazzari in the U.S. is skilled and economical. Join photo.net, find him there, and get started.

I wonder whether Zeiss lenses routinely have these problems. My ZM Planar 50/2 slips in part of the focus turn. Not enough to fix, but annoying for the price paid.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

The ZMs are well known for "the wobble issue." If you bought new from a dealer (or bought used and can provide that info) you get a three-year warranty. Afterwards, you're S.O.L.

It doesn't affect picture quality, but it does dull the experience a bit. I expected more from Zeiss myself. But, sh*t happens. The optical performance MORE than makes up for anything else!