The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M8 IR-Compatibility Lens listing: IR hotspot or not

ampguy

Carlos, that is a beautiful image. How is the IR mark on the CV 35, or is there one? I've found the IR focusing marks on the Canon 28/2.8, and Hexanon 28/2.8 to be very accurate with the R72 filter.

etrigan63

It's actually pretty mild, but there nonetheless. I find it less noticeable with a B&W 092 vs a Hoya 72 despite that those filters are supposed to be identical. (yes, I have both filters) The lens does not have an IR mark so i guesstimate using the right f4 mark on the barrel.

thrice

I would love to see how bad some of the hotspots are, particularly 18mm distagon, 35 lux asph and 50/1.5 sonnar. Otherwise I'll post when my IR filter arrives next week.

thrice

18mm distagon certainly has a hotspot around f/11. Closer to wide open not really an issue.

thrice

Here's a ZM 35 f/2.8 C-Biogon, no hotspot. The colour shift is from manual WB and in-camera jpeg.

thrice

The 18mm Distagon doesn't have a hotspot. It does however, have some crazy internal reflections I could really do without! I'm going to test various apertures and see if it's not evident at any particular setting. It's probably fine on the M8.

This is at f/11 on the M9

thrice

The 25mm Biogon on the other hand is causing some intense internal reflections! I don't know if this is because of the non-multicoated filter I'm using, but given that it's quite rectangular I'd say it's bouncing off the sensor at some stage. The problem gets worse stopping down, this is at f/8.0:

I have the hood on the lens, and no light is hitting it at an extreme angle. I even tried further shielding the lens with my hand but no go. It also occurs regardless of what direction I'm shooting in relation to the sun.

The reflection itself is normally blue, I just have a channel swap as part of my post processing for IR.

thrice

My 25mm Biogon is faulty, I've now tested it with an 8s exposure with a lens cap on while turning it around under bright sunlight and I get the exact same shaped flare however with the rest of the image being black. Off to Zeiss it goes I guess.

Last edited:

BeeWee

No hotspots:

28mm/2.8 Elmarit ASPH *
50mm/2.0 Summicron IV (tab version)
90mm/2.8 Tele-Elmarit

* Hot spot only showed up on one image when shooting into the sun at f/22. All other images were fine in normal circumstances.

Filter used:
B+W 39mm 092 F-Pro

Body: M8.2

E

eawtan

No hotspots:
CV 25/4 snapshot skopar (ltm)
Leica 40/2 Summicron-C

Filter used : R72

E

eawtan

canon 50 f1.2 (ltm) hotspot visible at smaller apertures (f8 and smaller )