Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 77 of 77

Thread: 85mm Summarex

  1. #51
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,580
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    The black might be collectible, but I'll take my chrome beauty any day.

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Me too CF

    Woody

  3. #53
    Member Bébèrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    BELGIUM
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    more Summarex tests.

    •1 The dog, f 1,5
    •2 Autumn flower, f 4
    •3 Granny & daughter, (some flare of a lightsource because I didn't have my hood yet) f 1,5
    •4 Daughter, iso 1250 f 1,5

    wish I had bought this lens sooner.
    Enjoy living, live to enjoy

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Just got my mint looking 85 back today from John Shelton at FocalPointLens.com. He does all the lens work for Sean Craynor at Camera West. There was a small imperfection in the coating of one of the doublets. He had that repolished and recoated. He then lapped in the 60year old focus helicoid to make it smooth as butter. Cost me $550 and worth every penny. Nice smooth focusing and no flare from the work on the doublet. As John told me "they just don't make them like this anymore. I agree.

    Best to all with your old but new Leica stuff

    Woody

  5. #55
    Senior Member Hacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Hi Woody,

    Can you post a picture of the "new" old lens?

  6. #56
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,580
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Yes, Woody! I'd love to see your restored Summarex, too.

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Wiil do later today

    Woody

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    O.K. Guys and Girls

    Here is a 1958 Summarex..........Wow! Love the look and feel of this beauty. As John Shelton said........"They just don't make them like this anymore" I am sure the same would be said for Jack's 73 Hector et al.

    Enjoy

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    And Just a couple more

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Hope everyone enjoyed this. A beautiful lens in immaculate condition

    Woody

  11. #61
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Woody!
    What a beautiful thing (I want it)
    Great photos too
    all those aperture blades as well.

    The hunt starts here!

    Nice to see that your M8 actually looks like it's been used as well!

    Just this guy you know

  12. #62
    Senior Member helenhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,895
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    WOODY: Truly a beauty...but very HEAVY
    Charles let me try his this past July when we had the GETDPI meet up
    I had know idea re: minimum focus distance of 6ft
    so I was NOT spot on
    but I do love the oof
    here is a shot in my brief encounter at Lunch
    Last edited by helenhill; 10th November 2008 at 19:12.

  13. #63
    Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    414

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Hope everyone enjoyed this. A beautiful lens in immaculate condition

    Woody
    Sweet Woody! Very enjoyable, thanks for that.

  14. #64
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,580
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Woody,
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful lens with us.

  15. #65
    Senior Member Hacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Hope everyone enjoyed this. A beautiful lens in immaculate condition

    Woody

    I enjoyed it of course. Now, some photos!

  16. #66
    Senior Member Hacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Just got my mint looking 85 back today from John Shelton at FocalPointLens.com.
    Woody
    Woody, may I know how long the Summarex was at the workshop for the servicing?

    Thanks,

    Stephen

  17. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Woody, may I know how long the Summarex was at the workshop for the servicing?

    Thanks,

    Stephen
    Stephen

    Sorry for my procrastination. No excuses!

    The lens was with John for about six weeks. The reason for the longish time was that one of the elements needed to be re-lapped and then re-coated. This took the longest time to accomplish. The lapping of the brass focus helicoid was done directly by John and he did it in jig time. The lens now focuses with the best of them.

    I have recently recovered my 75 Lux and plan to take identical images from it and the Summarex to compare the results. Initial testing looks like the Summarex has a lot of the classic Leica "glow" and the Lux has a different color rendition (read better!). I will post both black and white and color images so you can judge for yourself! I must say that I am falling in love with the drawing of the older lenses (which means I apparently like spherical abberations LOL). I probably should have known since I love the drawing of the Summarits!

    If anyone wants to view particular types of images with the Summarex and the Lux please let me know and I will try to accomodate.

    Best

    Woody

  18. #68
    Senior Member bensonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    819

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Quote Originally Posted by Bébèrt View Post
    more Summarex tests.

    •1 The dog, f 1,5
    That's not just "The dog" is it? If I'm not mistaken, that's a Cairn Terrier! Or could it be a Norwich?

    Love those terriers....my Bonnie is 2 years old now. She's a real terrier(ist), full of spunk and attitude.

    Oh yes....beautiful looking Leica lens too!

    Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

  19. #69
    Senior Member Hacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Thanks Woody. The signature is very apparent, like the Summar. Hmmm, I never considered the Summarex nor the Thambar until now. But seeing the posts here, I may have to seriously reconsider getting one. Two were offered on eBay complete with hood and in Mint- condition but there were no takers.

    Tempting....

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Stephen

    Sorry for my procrastination. No excuses!

    The lens was with John for about six weeks. The reason for the longish time was that one of the elements needed to be re-lapped and then re-coated. This took the longest time to accomplish. The lapping of the brass focus helicoid was done directly by John and he did it in jig time. The lens now focuses with the best of them.

    I have recently recovered my 75 Lux and plan to take identical images from it and the Summarex to compare the results. Initial testing looks like the Summarex has a lot of the classic Leica "glow" and the Lux has a different color rendition (read better!). I will post both black and white and color images so you can judge for yourself! I must say that I am falling in love with the drawing of the older lenses (which means I apparently like spherical abberations LOL). I probably should have known since I love the drawing of the Summarits!

    If anyone wants to view particular types of images with the Summarex and the Lux please let me know and I will try to accomodate.

    Best

    Woody

  20. #70
    Member Bébèrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    BELGIUM
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Hello Gary Benson,


    it is indeed a Norwich Terrier, called Bill (short for Billy) and is 6 years old,
    shot with a 56 year old lens.
    Enjoy living, live to enjoy

  21. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Having recently acquired a 75 Lux (1.4) I'd be very curious to compare the two lenses, as a previous poster suggested, mostly in the 1.4/1.5 - 2.8 range.

  22. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Quote Originally Posted by rweissman View Post
    Having recently acquired a 75 Lux (1.4) I'd be very curious to compare the two lenses, as a previous poster suggested, mostly in the 1.4/1.5 - 2.8 range.
    I will be working on it as I am the poster who has both lenses

    Woody

  23. #73
    Member kdemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Someone earlier in the thread mentioned they wanted to see something from a 73mm Hektor, below are a couple shots. I also have a Summarex, the Hektor is lower contrast to my eye.

    Kent




  24. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Kent

    I agree with your early conclusions. The Hektor (as displayed by Jack Flesher as well) is a really nice lens, lower conrast etc. The Summarex had more micro contrast and (perhaps) lower overall contrast as well.

    Personally i love the look of the Summarex with the additional micro contrast and hopefully all will see the differences.

    Whatever, all of these lenses are very special, as is the Konica Hexanon 50 1.2 which has a very special signture in my HMO. The OOF areas are better than many if not most of the very fast lenses. It is very subjective so your choice.

    Woody

  25. #75
    Member kdemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Woody,

    Well said. Truth be told I haven't spent enough time shooting with my Summarex so I have only a limited experience to draw from. One thing I did notice was it was one of my more difficult lenses to focus.

    Both are great, the Summarex is a "supermodel" in appearance as well. What an elegant design.

    Kent

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Kent

    I agree with your early conclusions. The Hektor (as displayed by Jack Flesher as well) is a really nice lens, lower conrast etc. The Summarex had more micro contrast and (perhaps) lower overall contrast as well.

    Personally i love the look of the Summarex with the additional micro contrast and hopefully all will see the differences.

    Whatever, all of these lenses are very special, as is the Konica Hexanon 50 1.2 which has a very special signture in my HMO. The OOF areas are better than many if not most of the very fast lenses. It is very subjective so your choice.

    Woody

  26. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    If anyone wants to view particular types of images with the Summarex and the Lux please let me know and I will try to accomodate.
    Woody, I find that when you take pictures against the sun the qualities of a lens show very differently than when you have it on your back. I like many times the old lenses against the sun and not many times with it behind.

    (if this makes any sense)

    I have a feeling that the 75 summilux has very good control of flair and the summarex not. (for better or worst)

    The thing is that I am starting to like all the flaws of the older lenses.
    Last edited by gero; 30th January 2009 at 05:45.

  27. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: 85mm Summarex

    Quote Originally Posted by gero View Post
    Woody, I find that when you take pictures against the sun the qualities of a lens show very differently than when you have it on your back. I like many times the old lenses against the sun and not many times with it behind.

    (if this makes any sense)

    I have a feeling that the 75 summilux has very good control of flair and the summarex not. (for better or worst)

    The thing is that I am starting to like all the flaws of the older lenses.
    Yes, I think this is probably true. Flare control, which is mostly a function of lens coatings, has truly improved with age. The 75 Lux (when compared with the 85 Summarex) will be much better in this regard. But you have to look at all the features which result in a particular drawing. if you have a good lens hood, and you are not shooting pretty much into the sun, which lens produces the look you want? I own, and will continue to own both and use them to their particular strengths/

    woody

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •