The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

85mm Summarex

woodyspedden

Hey everyone

Just found a great shape 85mm Summarex on Flea Bay. Not cheap, but in absolutely fabulous condition. I am sending to Leica N.J. to get the focus ring lubed and altogether CLA'd.

I will post some images from this puppy as soon as I get my M8 back from Solms (grrr) but suffice to say that even with a quick shoot with TriX from my 1954 M3 double stroke this lens proves it's worth. Love it

Also just for kicks I found a really remarkable conditioned Zeiss Contaflex IV, including the case for a whopping $150! LOL

This old 1953 or 1954 camera still has a working meter and all the other functions work to spec near as I can tell. The Tessar 50 2.8 included lens is in near perfect condition near as I can tell, and the bolt on 115 lens is as well.

Man when you weigh these lenses (all brass of course!) you are talking about some serious German engineering IMHO. I am so glad to get this camera so my children can also enjoy the experience of German engineering and craftsmenship. Compare to any modern camera and you quickly see that they don't make them like this anymore!

Not that it matters much to other folks but I will post some pictures from this body and lens to show what life was life in 1954. (and still is for those of us who want to continue the tradition)

Best to all

Woody

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I found one on Ebay, too, but when I received it, it had some nasty stuff on the inside.:mad: I had to send it back. I did end up with an extra hood, if anyone is looking for a chrome Summarex hood (PM me).
I have another Summarex on the way now. This one was a little pricier, but the dealer has assured me that it is clean inside.:D

Eoin

Fantastic lens with so much variable fingerprints throughout the aperture range.

Perhaps you didn't know, but all the lens elements except for one cemented pair can be taken out with ease. The front group and the rear group unscrew so you can clean it your self with ease. Looking through the lens one might be forgiven in thinking it was full of dirt, more likely bubbles in the glass which appear as black specks.

Enjoy, it's truly quirky in operation and heavy, but lots of lovely choma and glow make it unusual but special. :thumbs:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Eoin,
There was way more than air bubbles in the one that I bought. I did see air bubbles, too.
It is good to know that it comes apart for future cleaning. The first one looked spectacular on my chrome M8, so I can't wait for the new one to arrive.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
My new Summarex arrived today. It is in user condition, but the glass is nice. I am thrilled with it.:p I did notice that it is not reaching infinity, so it will be going off for a tune-up.

Bokeh test shot wide open.

helenhill

Lovely shpt Cindy

as I've said before
ONLY that lens & the Super Angulon 21 makes my head spin with pure JOY

its a massive Beast though in weight & size :scry:
I was lucky to have played with Charle's :)

cheers! H

woodyspedden

Mine gets boxed to ship to Leica N.J.. today. I need to have the focus ring lubed (it is a little stiff and more importantly sticks at the extreme end). I will probably just have it CLA'd as well while there as this lens is in such extraordinary condition. It absolutely looks like it just came out of the box. It also came with the inner red packing box and the brown leather case so this puppy is in serious collectors condition.

Can't wait to get the lens, and the M8 (shutter replacement) back so I can go back to shooting. I really miss my M system.

Woody

woodyspedden

Lovely shpt Cindy

as I've said before
ONLY that lens & the Super Angulon 21 makes my head spin with pure JOY

its a massive Beast though in weight & size :scry:
I was lucky to have played with Charle's :)

cheers! H
Actually, it is somewhat smaller than the 90 APO, and less weight as well if your 90 APO is chrome silver. I think that there is an illusion of it being really big as a result of the huge lens hood. Man in the '50's they were really serious about preventing flare!!

Woody

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Woody,
Your copy sounds divine.:p Mine is no shelf-queen (it has some bright spots on the chrome) but has the hood and both caps and nice glass. I am happy to have it, because they are fairly scarce.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
gero - Helen is an "Epson Girl"

Jack - We are all waiting for the 73 Hektor, bring it on!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
My Summarex is back from Don Goldberg. I found that it was a lot harder to catch a fluttery butterfly with the Summarex than with the D700.:ROTFL:
Mine is a 1957 model. I marvel at the workmanship and the fact that it is still in service after 50 years.

woodyspedden

My Summarex is back from Don Goldberg. I found that it was a lot harder to catch a fluttery butterfly with the Summarex than with the D700.:ROTFL:
Mine is a 1957 model. I marvel at the workmanship and the fact that it is still in service after 50 years.
May have been tougher than with your D700 but the end result is superb.

Congratulations........the summarex is not the easiest lens in the world to work with given the large amount of helicoid rotation to get focus dead on (much like the 75 Lux) but boy the final result can be unreal. In this focal length, the summarex, the 73 Hektor, and the 75 Lux are all superb performers. Glad I have mine but I may need the 73 Hektor as well. I can then take many images and decide for myself which ones to keep (would you believe all of them!!!! ... ;LOL) I am so SICK!

Woody

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Cindy - Wonderful! I just posted 2 images shot with the Summarex on the M8 thread and then came and saw this. Even though you say your Summarex is in beater condition it (and mostly you) is doing a fabulous job. I really enjoy the colors in the image you just posted and I still marvel at how much detail you captured in the Bokeh test shot wide open posted above.

Woody - Even though I have the Summarex, I too am thinking about the Hektor! I can't decide, and now that I am looking at these images from Cindy I am thinking I need a back-up Summarex. Thank you for sharing your sickness. LOL