The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 users still shooting film?

Double Negative

Not Available
I still shoot film, though perhaps more in MF than 35mm. I do my own B&W at home, but color has to be sent out. So, being a bit lazy I tend to shoot B&W film, but leave the color for digital.

However... There are times when only film will do! For example, Velvia, Ektar, Provia... They just have such a LOOK to them that lacks in digital.

So I guess... "It depends." :)

PeterA

For me any camera system is about how the glass renders the shot be it whether I shoot B&W film or digital in 35mm or MF. I use film for a different look which even flatbed Epsons are capable of showing. By far and away the best looking digital files are from my M9 and my S2 employing Leica glass and these two cameras as well as some old school Hasselblad and Rollie MF glass make taking pictures a very satisfying hobby.

I will never go back to a chemical darkroom but processing ones own B&W using a dark bag and some simple chemistry is a simple pleasure. Is anyone a real photographer unless they can soup their own B&W? -:)

I am also heartily tired of to much photo shopping - which a lot of MF and 35mm camera systems require to make the most of a file. Again Leica shines here - out of camera files requiring the least amount of mucking around.

But B&W souped up according to the zone system effect you are after ? IMHO digital is nowhere near it - black blacks and white whites with a lot more subtle tonality in between - and isn't that what everyone's eyes like to see.:thumbup: