Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica 90mm APO f/2 calibration issues on M9

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Leica 90mm APO f/2 calibration issues on M9

I've recently been using a Leica-M 90mm APO f/2, on my M9, however, the lens does not seem to achieve tack sharp focus even at f/11 and fast speeds. I used a magnifier to be sure the focus patch was correct, but still can't find it to be acceptable. In a portrait for example, one side of the model will be "soft" sharp, while the other side not at all. What's interesting, is that along the same plane in a small area, the focus is sometimes sharp then falls out and then back in again. Also, the contrast is very muted and washed. This is a rental, but thought this lens was the the most stellar performer. I understand that cameras sometimes need to be calibrated, but it seems this is not the case with areas in and out of sharpness.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica 90mm APO f/2 calibration issues on M9

Sounds like the lens needs to be serviced...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica 90mm APO f/2 calibration issues on M9

You have a bad lens that requires service. The 90/2 is not an unusual challenge to get sharp images with an M9. Simple test throw a hat out on some grass ..focus on the hat . Should immediately tell you if its a focus issue ..if you can t find a plane of sharpness ...then the lens is damaged .