The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lenses with that Special Character

helenhill

Helen,
Did you mean Summarit f/1.5? Summitar is an f/2 lens, I believe.
Congratulations on the new lens.:thumbup:[/QUOTE

OOPS, YES I DID GET CONFUSED ...SUMMARIT IS THE ONE /serial # 1054891
Sorry Charles / space cadet hill here .... tongue tied...urghh:ROTFL:
Toodles-H

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I know the feeling; I've got some old glass for the large format I just love.

Jeremy Just Excellent! This really shows how an older design can create an exceptional rendering. I could see this as a large print hanging in a gallery. Roger :thumbup:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I realized the source of the confusion when I read the Zeiss thread. You were calling it summarit and Roger was calling it summitar. I imagine those names have caused a LOT of confusion over the years.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Please post some more samples from your lens.

Jeremy

It's a 9" verito on 8x10. No tilt to the image like in irakly's shot, just tiny depth of field by shooting at f/5.6 on the 8x10.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jim, that image qualifies for "Models with Special Character" as well. It also exemplifies, as many images in this thread do and as Irakly has stated, that we must capitalize on the character of the equipment for given situations and I find this takes some time to learn and then apply. I am beginning to understand that all lenses have a "Special Character" (perhaps some more-so than others) and it is a matter of my becoming familiar with the equipment, recognizing its unique features and character (signature), and then utilizing this if possible within my aesthetic sensibilities.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
M8 + 50/1.4 pre-asph

This is a nice illustration because it shows the character of the 50 pre asph. The subject has the contrast,saturation and apparent sharpness of a modern optic....yet the OF areas have highlights that "glow",saturated color and yet little edge definition which contributes to the smooth bokeh. Beautiful rendering! The asph version is a stunning lens but it is so sharp that the OF areas pick up some of that sharpness. A different "brush" if you steal from Sean Reid s description. :thumbup:

akiralx

75 Summicron at f/2.

I've recently got this lens and I think it could become my favourite - seems easy to focus (beautifully damped ring, I was worried about the lack of a focus knob but it's great), and it focuses much closer than I was expecting.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
75 Summicron at f/2.

I've recently got this lens and I think it could become my favourite - seems easy to focus (beautifully damped ring, I was worried about the lack of a focus knob but it's great), and it focuses much closer than I was expecting.
Oh, yes. Lovely.

Terry

I haven't looked at this thread in a bit. Wow great images. Charles, that little girl at the carousel is fantastic!

Last edited: