The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Firmware

S

Shootist

Well I'm up and it is Wednesday and I have checked the Leica site (USA that is) and no firmware. I guess I'll check the germany site.

Ok it's at the germany site, they do rise before the USA does. Now to load it.

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It is on the german site.
Changes claimed include:
1) support for new Summarits
2) Shortened interval between pre-flash and main flash when using ttl and Compatible flash units
3) Improvement in command dial to avoid menu cycling
4) Battery capacity display (but I don't know what about it)
5) Change in the french language menu replacing avec with + in the uv/ir menu

Still no fix for lens cap auto removal, shutter sound, whitebalance, or autofocus

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Little more help

Instructions for updating the LEICA M8 Firmware

1. Format a memory card in your LEICA M8.

2. Turn off the camera and insert the card into an SD card reader – either integrated or connected to
your computer. (A reader is required for Firmware updates).

3. Download the Firmware file from the Leica M8 site using the “UPDATES” link and unzip the file.

4. Save the unzipped file m8-1_xx.upd at the top level of the card’s folder structure. xx stands for
the version.

Top level of card’s folder structure

5. Remove the card properly from your card reader, insert the card into the camera and close the
bottom cover.

6. Turn on the camera using the main switch and wait for at least 3 seconds before continuing
with step 7.

7. Confirm the prompt that appears in the monitor as to whether you want to update the Firmware
on the camera to version 1.xx.

The update process takes around 180s. You will then be prompted to restart the camera using the
main switch.

8. Turn the camera off and back on again.

Note:
If the battery does not have sufficient charge, you will see a corresponding warning message.

Firmware version 1.110 - The update adds these improvements to your camera:

6 Bit lens codes for Summarit-M lenses 35, 50, 75 and 90 mm
Time shortened between pre-flash and main flash in M-TTL mode with flashes LEICA SF24
D and SCA compatible flashguns
function of the central setting wheel on the camera back improved (unintentional scrolling
of the menu now prevented)
battery capacity display improved
Change in the French menu: «Marche +UV/IR» instead «Marche avec»

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I hope it adresses the jumping in the play mode as well. I find that the most irritating glitch.

atanabe

The 1250 ISO noise is now reduced to the level that 640 had in the prior release. You can actually get decent images with 1250 without a ton of post processing!

Guy Mancuso

Al that is good news. Have not been out of my office for days to go shoot and test this firmware yet. Love to hear what you folks are seeing.

Al may want to check the BD thread:D

carstenw

The 1250 ISO noise is now reduced to the level that 640 had in the prior release. You can actually get decent images with 1250 without a ton of post processing!
I took before and after images (1.107 vs. 1.110), and I saw asolutely no difference at ISO 640, 1250 or 2500. I took a dark corner of my living room, and zeroed all settings of Lightroom. What did you shoot and how did you process it?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am waiting to see some improvement..
Maybe the battery display,
But the menu scrolling, at least the sub-menu scrolling of the list of available iso numbers that is part of the set menu, went wildly scrolling for me a moment ago.
:-(

will code for glass
-bob

Attachments

carstenw

But the menu scrolling, at least the sub-menu scrolling of the list of available iso numbers that is part of the set menu, went wildly scrolling for me a moment ago.
Wow, how sad. I haven't seen mine scroll yet, and it used to scroll all the time, so at least I expect that an improvement was made. Perhaps you might try re-flashing the firmware?

Attachments

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well,
It reports 1.110
I doubt that it would help to re-flash unless there are multiple stores that need refreshing.
I think that the scrolling difficulty may be related to the design of the scroll wheel an possibly the use of firmware debounce or transition detection.
I should look at Mark Norton's necropsy photos.
-bob

Attachments

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
OK This is a test....since Guy is a beta tester ..shouldn t he know if the noise at higher ISO s has been improved . Why would this be a secret that has to be discovered ? Stated another way ....wouldn t he be testing for this . Must be something I don t understand ..if I improved something as important as "noise reduction" it would be in the list of improvements. My assumption is ...its not on the list so they didn t improve it.

Guy Mancuso

Roger i just got it on Monday and leica figured they did not really need us to test this out since it is a small improvement in the firmware. They will do this when there not big firmware changes since they already know it is working . They give these kinds of beta's out just really to see if we see anything they may have missed before the hit the streets with it. I did ask if they would please post what was done to the updates and they agreed that is what they will do. So now as you see they did post that info which is great really because folks don't have to guess. Now if there are sweeping updates yes we would have had this in our hands to actually fully test it out before it hit the streets and we gave reports on it. So they do it two ways and actually i think it is a good idea they way they do it. If there was noise improvement we all would hear about that , now obviously there maybe more in a update than what they say but this stuff would be so minor it would not be worth talking about . I view this update as a small change before a much bigger update to 1.2 whole numbers usually mean bigger updates. They need to get SDHC out the door soon so my thinking is there is another coming fairly soon here.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Guy Thanks for the insight. Couldn t agree more on the priorities ...I also need a bunch of new cards (at the current prices they can be a single instance of my backup strategy) and I am waiting for the SDHC solution. If they could wring just one more stop out of the ISO improvements ..I could shoot with street light illumination..probably a more likely solution will be in the processing noise reduction. Roger

Guy Mancuso

Honestly the 2 things i would want are SDHC my cards need to be replaced anyway and 1 stop on the noise level . Just make 1250 like 640 today than done deal for me. AWB and some other stuff i just don't care about

jonoslack

Zebra stripes and the wrong picture?
Has anyone seen them? I was getting it a lot, but I haven't seen it yet?