Site Sponsors

Thread: New Firmware

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New Firmware

There should be some updated firmware coming extremely soon from Leica. As you know as a beta tester i can't say much until release time in which I will give full details than.

Here is a link to Leica AG which you can check as the days go by

http://www.leica-camera.us/service/d...er_cameras/m8/. It will be higher than 1.107
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Firmware

Okay i did not say this

but when you wake up on Wednesday check the leica site.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Shootist

Well I'm up and it is Wednesday and I have checked the Leica site (USA that is) and no firmware. I guess I'll check the germany site.

Ok it's at the germany site, they do rise before the USA does. Now to load it.
    Last edited by Shootist; 7th November 2007 at 01:42.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is on the german site.
    Changes claimed include:
    1) support for new Summarits
    2) Shortened interval between pre-flash and main flash when using ttl and Compatible flash units
    3) Improvement in command dial to avoid menu cycling
    4) Battery capacity display (but I don't know what about it)
    5) Change in the french language menu replacing avec with + in the uv/ir menu

Still no fix for lens cap auto removal, shutter sound, whitebalance, or autofocus
    Last edited by Bob; 7th November 2007 at 02:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You guys woke up to early . It's up now

http://www.leica-camera.us/service/d...er_cameras/m8/

Now if the darn thing could make coffee. It's 5:30 here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Little more help

Instructions for updating the LEICA M8 Firmware

1. Format a memory card in your LEICA M8.

2. Turn off the camera and insert the card into an SD card reader – either integrated or connected to
    your computer. (A reader is required for Firmware updates).

3. Download the Firmware file from the Leica M8 site using the “UPDATES” link and unzip the file.

4. Save the unzipped file m8-1_xx.upd at the top level of the card’s folder structure. xx stands for
    the version.

Top level of card’s folder structure

5. Remove the card properly from your card reader, insert the card into the camera and close the
    bottom cover.

6. Turn on the camera using the main switch and wait for at least 3 seconds before continuing
    with step 7.

7. Confirm the prompt that appears in the monitor as to whether you want to update the Firmware
    on the camera to version 1.xx.

The update process takes around 180s. You will then be prompted to restart the camera using the
    main switch.

8. Turn the camera off and back on again.

Note:
    If the battery does not have sufficient charge, you will see a corresponding warning message.

Firmware version 1.110 - The update adds these improvements to your camera:

6 Bit lens codes for Summarit-M lenses 35, 50, 75 and 90 mm
    Time shortened between pre-flash and main flash in M-TTL mode with flashes LEICA SF24
    D and SCA compatible flashguns
    function of the central setting wheel on the camera back improved (unintentional scrolling
    of the menu now prevented)
    battery capacity display improved
    Change in the French menu: «Marche +UV/IR» instead «Marche avec»

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh make sure your battery is charged also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope it adresses the jumping in the play mode as well. I find that the most irritating glitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 1250 ISO noise is now reduced to the level that 640 had in the prior release. You can actually get decent images with 1250 without a ton of post processing!
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Al that is good news. Have not been out of my office for days to go shoot and test this firmware yet. Love to hear what you folks are seeing.

Al may want to check the BD thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Oh make sure your battery is charged also.
    uhh, the battery in the CAMERA you mean?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    The 1250 ISO noise is now reduced to the level that 640 had in the prior release. You can actually get decent images with 1250 without a ton of post processing!
    I took before and after images (1.107 vs. 1.110), and I saw asolutely no difference at ISO 640, 1250 or 2500. I took a dark corner of my living room, and zeroed all settings of Lightroom. What did you shoot and how did you process it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am waiting to see some improvement..
    Maybe the battery display,
    But the menu scrolling, at least the sub-menu scrolling of the list of available iso numbers that is part of the set menu, went wildly scrolling for me a moment ago.
    :-(

will code for glass
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwfreund View Post
    But the menu scrolling, at least the sub-menu scrolling of the list of available iso numbers that is part of the set menu, went wildly scrolling for me a moment ago.
    Wow, how sad. I haven't seen mine scroll yet, and it used to scroll all the time, so at least I expect that an improvement was made. Perhaps you might try re-flashing the firmware?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well,
    It reports 1.110
    I doubt that it would help to re-flash unless there are multiple stores that need refreshing.
    I think that the scrolling difficulty may be related to the design of the scroll wheel an possibly the use of firmware debounce or transition detection.
    I should look at Mark Norton's necropsy photos.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

OK This is a test....since Guy is a beta tester ..shouldn t he know if the noise at higher ISO s has been improved . Why would this be a secret that has to be discovered ? Stated another way ....wouldn t he be testing for this . Must be something I don t understand ..if I improved something as important as "noise reduction" it would be in the list of improvements. My assumption is ...its not on the list so they didn t improve it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roger i just got it on Monday and leica figured they did not really need us to test this out since it is a small improvement in the firmware. They will do this when there not big firmware changes since they already know it is working . They give these kinds of beta's out just really to see if we see anything they may have missed before the hit the streets with it. I did ask if they would please post what was done to the updates and they agreed that is what they will do. So now as you see they did post that info which is great really because folks don't have to guess. Now if there are sweeping updates yes we would have had this in our hands to actually fully test it out before it hit the streets and we gave reports on it. So they do it two ways and actually i think it is a good idea they way they do it. If there was noise improvement we all would hear about that , now obviously there maybe more in a update than what they say but this stuff would be so minor it would not be worth talking about . I view this update as a small change before a much bigger update to 1.2 whole numbers usually mean bigger updates. They need to get SDHC out the door soon so my thinking is there is another coming fairly soon here.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy Thanks for the insight. Couldn t agree more on the priorities ...I also need a bunch of new cards (at the current prices they can be a single instance of my backup strategy) and I am waiting for the SDHC solution. If they could wring just one more stop out of the ISO improvements ..I could shoot with street light illumination..probably a more likely solution will be in the processing noise reduction. Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Honestly the 2 things i would want are SDHC my cards need to be replaced anyway and 1 stop on the noise level . Just make 1250 like 640 today than done deal for me. AWB and some other stuff i just don't care about

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zebra stripes and the wrong picture?
    Has anyone seen them? I was getting it a lot, but I haven't seen it yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I for welcome this particular update... I was really tired of seeing he "avec" on the WATE focal selection in the French menu.

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very droll Jack.

No SDHC support ... again. Maybe next century.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Zebra stripes and the wrong picture?
    Has anyone seen them? I was getting it a lot, but I haven't seen it yet?
    Maybe Jaap has some zebra stripes on one or more of his hippo shots.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've gotten some wild scrolling on the display with the new firmware... same as before. Can't really say I've noticed an improvement in higher ISO noise either. Still love the camera and the images it delivers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is annoying.
    I see changes that seem to me to represent the change of a string constant, table, and a few parameters. As I write this, I am attending a W3C meeting where we glibly toss around major changes to the structure of the web. Aside from not breaking anything, I have yet to see evidence of software skills.
    hopefully
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    I took before and after images (1.107 vs. 1.110), and I saw asolutely no difference at ISO 640, 1250 or 2500. I took a dark corner of my living room, and zeroed all settings of Lightroom. What did you shoot and how did you process it?
    Carsten,
    I judge the noise level in the mid tones with the subject lit. The processing was straight off the card displayed in Lightroom. On my camera/sensor, the noise was noticable in the mid tones with v1.107 at 1250. This noise was now acceptable with v1.110 almost to the point of looking like the noise level at 640 with the previous version.

I test at speeds that I would normally handhold, no longer than 1/30th of a second. If I have to use a longer shutter speed I would most likely have a tripod so why would I need a high ISO?

In my experience with digital xray imaging, the amount of noise will vary by how starved the sensor is for light (quanta). Which means that low light scenes that require a longer shutter speed is in turn evidence of a light starved sensor. This is regardless of the ISO being used, if the ISO is increased, the amount of noise created by the additional current is introduced.

Just my method of testing and judging digital performance, your methods may vary and I respect that.

Al
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well finally i got to shoot today . i shot a studio strobe job today and all seemed okay and a Metz PR event tonight. So the good news , there are 4 very apparent ones right off the top.

1. no scrolling flashing
    2. No zebra effect
    3. Most important the review kept up with the last shot every time. That was worth the price of admission right there, honestly that one drove me nuts.

4. nothing bad, so for a tweener of a firmware it did the job. Okay ready for 1.2

5 Well there is a possible 5 . My Metz seemed to work much better on Auto which has nothing to do with what they said they fixed, go figure. I can't prove it though but just felt better and at my age any feeling is good. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well finally i got to shoot today . i shot a studio strobe job today and all seemed okay and a Metz PR event tonight. So the good news , there are 4 very apparent ones right off the top.

1. no scrolling flashing
    2. No zebra effect
    3. Most important the review kept up with the last shot every time. That was worth the price of admission right there, honestly that one drove me nuts.

4. nothing bad, so for a tweener of a firmware it did the job. Okay ready for 1.2

5 Well there is a possible 5 . My Metz seemed to work much better on Auto which has nothing to do with what they said they fixed, go figure. I can't prove it though but just felt better and at my age any feeling is good. LOL
    guy

I must tell you that every time I go back and look at your Germany images I am so impressed. The ones that get me the most are the japanese bride which I know you shot with the 135 APO Telyt. I compare to my shots, particularly nailing the focus, and I stand in awe in the presence of the master.

Thanks for all you have done to teach me the craft

Best

Woody