Site Sponsors

Thread: M9 Freezing without full buffer

Post Thanks / Like

M9 Freezing without full buffer

So my M9 has a nasty habit of freezing far too often. I'll be taking a couple pictures (always on compressed RAW only) and then the 'writing' LED will just keep flashing for 3-5 minutes. I doubt this is a buffer issue, as every time this has happened I've only taken 2 or 3 pictures. Has anyone else seen this issue or know what to do about it? I'm running the newest firmware (1.138)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: M9 Freezing without full buffer

I think this is related to another issue, where I take a picture, the write LED flashes for a while, the picture appears on the screen as a new unique number (i.e.-if there were 10 pics on the card and I take another one the top right corner will read "11/11"), but when it goes away and I click 'Play' to view the pics the newest picture is gone. I can't seem to reproduce this issue-it comes and goes randomly. When I get back to my computer those images are "there" as placeholder files, but they're blank in Lightroom, with no data inside.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting you should mention this problem. I was just shooting with an aquantences M9 (latest firmware) and it did essentually the same thing. It was repeatable with his. I took out his SDHC card which was working fine in his camera till this suddenly happened and stuck in another card. Immediately the problem disappeared. I told him to reformat the "bad" card and then try that card again. He hasn't gotten around to doing this to determine if it was a one time bad format with that potentially defective card or the card suddenly developed an issue for some unknown reason.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 6th May 2011 at 05:21.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the first thing I would suspect is the card.

Make sure its a good card, and not a fake of a good card. Then format it in the camera before using it again.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

This has happened to me on 2 cards now, granted both of the same manufacturer/type (SanDisk, but I got them secondhand, so not sure if they're the real deal). I have some PNY cards of my own I could try, but in the meantime I just completely formatted the card (using overwrite) in the camera. These cards were previously used on my M8 so I wonder whether the folder structure/whatever's different enough to cause issues. Haven't seen any issues yet, but haven't shot more than a dozen frames.

Post Thanks / Like

It appears to happen more often for me when shooting quickly after turning on the camera. The camera will not recognize the card and write files to the camera memory, but will not transfer the files to the card.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've experienced the same thing with mine when I turn it on and shoot fast. I've had it happen three times. Stinks because you're usually after something interesting when you're responding quickly.