The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

airport x-ray safe for M9 memory cards

gooomz

should i worry about these airport x ray scanners as they scan my carryon bags or as i walk through the body scanner?

going to be traveling and wouldnt want to mess up my pics.

Don Libby

You're much safer sending them through the x-ray than carrying them in your pocket as you go through the walk-thru as the walk thrus work by using strong magnetic pulses which will destroy the card. This is another reason why one should never walk through on is you have a pace-maker.

Don

carl-b

I have only been overseas twice, both times my images on memory cards were fine after being scanned. You probably wouldnt have much choice but to let them be scanned anyway, as here in europe you have to empty all pockets and place items in a tray. Nothing is allowed in pockets even tissue has to be removed:LOL:

Don Libby

The question of how safe the x-rays actually are come up every now and then.

Years ago a test was done using a floppy drive attached to the inside of a x-ray machine where it stayed for many hours. The drive was taken out and found no damage down to the files.

The metal detectors (walk-thru) are an entirely different story. These machines use (among others things) magnetic field which can be set to various sensitivity levels and can cause damage to disk drives and the like. Much the same as waving a large magnet. On top of all this it can cause electrical interference which just doesn't play well with things like pace-makers.

Oh and while it wasn't included in the original question - film. The higher the ISO the more chance of damage. Passengers have always had the right to ask for a hand check of items including packs of film.

Don

Kirmo

Maybe over 50 times through all kind of security checks in different aiports during last years. Never had any problems when having memory cards or laptop or small hard disks with carry on luggage. More worried loosing check in luggage.

Kirmo

BANKER1

Don,

When I was in Italy a few years ago, the screener would not hand check my 120 film and said his machine would not harm my film. (Sure, I thought!) The film was rendered useless, and all the pictures were hazed beyond recognition.

Greg

Don Libby

Don,

When I was in Italy a few years ago, the screener would not hand check my 120 film and said his machine would not harm my film. (Sure, I thought!) The film was rendered useless, and all the pictures were hazed beyond recognition.

Greg
Greg,

Long story short - the screener was being lazy. Any refusal of hand screening of photographic equipment should be met with a request to have a supervisor do it.

Don

Here's some of my background so you'll know I'm not some wacky guy spouting off the first thing that crosses his mind.

I worked as a Senior Special Agent for the FAA Office of Civil Aviation Security until we were disbanded and placed underneath the Department of Homeland Security umbrella in late 2002 (I retired late 2003). A few things I've done was conducting test and surveillance of both domestic and foreign airport security (under the authority of International Civil Aviation Authority (ICAO) which is an arm of the UN). I've taught aviation security both domestically and internationally and at one time was labeled an "aviation security expert" by ICAO. I also trained and flew as an Air Marshall. I did this for close to 20 years and while I've been out of the "game" for almost 8-years I still remember a thing or two.

Then there's the other stuff I've done that doesn't need to be addressed here.....