The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Water bag for small Leica kit?

mjm6

OK, so this isn't really a Leica-exclusive question, but it does pertain to a Leica kit, so I thought I'd ask here...

I am traveling to Micronesia in about 6 weeks, and plan to take a compact M9 kit with a few lenses. I have a Domke F5X-B bag that I'll carry the gear in.

I'm thinking that while I am on the boats (we'll be scuba diving, etc.) I need a water bag to keep the camera gear protected. That means something large enough to fit the Domke.

I've used Tundra hard cases in the past (still use them), but this trip will require a more compact approach to protection.

Can anyone recommend a soft dry bag that will be suitable for substantial water risk protection, and not be too much larger than the F5X-B bag?

Thanks,

---Michael

Traut

Don't get Mad - Get Glad. Grab a couple plastic trash bags. Stick a camera in one and the whole case in a larger one.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Can anyone recommend a soft dry bag that will be suitable for substantial water risk protection, and not be too much larger than the F5X-B bag?

Thanks,

---Michael
I prefer the soft dry bags used in kayaking...multiple sizes and manufacturers.

Get one and test it....not with your camera. Newspaper inside...fill your bathtub or a pool....submerge it and agitate....if the paper comes out dry you will be ok. The kind that have multiple folds at the top then a compression seal are about the most effective.

Link: http://www.rei.com/category/4500274

Bob

mjm6

Ziplock bags are fine for a temporary solution, but will not hold up to use on a boat very well. I keep Ziplocks in all my camera bags for various protection purposes, but I would not trust a Ziplock with constant duty needs.

Bob, I found a few dry bags that appear to be the right size, so I'll see what features I want and then buy based on that... I want a shoulder strap, so that eliminates a handful of the products right away.

This one looks like it'll just fit the bag:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/703984-REG/OverBoard_OB1004BLK_Waterproof_Dry_Flat_Bag.html

---Michael

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Your choice looks great.

I will probably order the next size up for myself.

Thanks,

Bob

C

celticursa

If you haven't already, you should take a look at the Patagonia Great Divider and Sub Divider waterproof bags. I have used these for several years now to keep my camera and fishing gear high and dry in watery places.

Paratom

I also would have said look at the outdoorstuff/kajaking stuff-for example bags from Ortlieb etc.

seakayaker

Any Marine/Boating store should carry waterproof bags. I have purchased several bags of different sizes for use when kayaking and everything stays dry in a very wet environment.

250swb

Just be careful to not get even one drop of water inside the bag, like if you are putting gear away after a shoot. Water, a sealed bag, a camera and lenses, and warmth, are asking for trouble, far worse than getting your gear wet and having air circulating to dry it out. You can be too careful with these things. The inside of an M9 viewfinder will fog up in seconds (which is why you shouldn't put it under your coat next to your body to protect it from rain) and then it will take hours to de-mist.

Steve