The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any tips for shooting in Rain?

dude163

Morning all, we are in the middle of our 8th day of rain in a row with rain forecast for 4 more :(

any tips/tricks for using my M8 in the rain? ie: big umbrella, plastic cover etc , cheers

250swb

Never put it under your jacket if its already wet, it takes three seconds to steam up inside the camera by body heat, and three hours before you can see through the viewfinder again.

Carry an absorbent cloth and just wipe it down every now and again.

Steve

seakayaker

Morning all, we are in the middle of our 8th day of rain in a row with rain forecast for 4 more :(

any tips/tricks for using my M8 in the rain? ie: big umbrella, plastic cover etc , cheers

Dude, you are not alone.

From Beautiful Seattle. http://www.beautifulseattle.com/mthsum.asp

Precipitation for May 1 - 17 is running 1.54 inches above normal at 2.60 inches compared to the normal 1.06 inches. The maximum twenty-hour precipitation total has been 0.97 inches on May 14 breaking the previous record of 0.54 inches set in 2001. May 15 also set a twenty-four hour precipitation total when 0.81 inches of precipitation fell breaking the previous record of 0.56 inches set in 2001. Precipitation for the year is running 4.69 inches above normal at 21.40 inches compared to the normal 16.71 inches.

Anyway tips for shooting in the rain.

1. Shoot indoors.
2. Shoot from car window. (lower, shoot, raise, repeat as necessary)
3. Follow Jono's suggestion, although you should get a coat at least a size or two larger then you normally wear for extra room and rain protection.
4. Follow f 1,0 suggestion (he gets extra points for using a photo to demonstrate) and get a head gear umbrella.
5. Roll the dice and say to heck with it, I'm not going to let the rain spoil my day, I bought a German Hand Made camera and it damm well aught to work in the rain. (remember to buy a spare in case it the first camera needs to be sent in for some adjustments latter on)

Hope that helps . . . . . :D :D :D

ramosa

Shooting in rain. I have had my best luck when finding an overhang and shooting from there. So I'm virtually dry, but passersby are not.

Godfrey

Thanks all, I just wasnt sure if the M8 was water resistant at all or not
Likely it is but not by nature of having intentional weather sealing. The M8 has relatively few buttons and other controls which poke through the body cavity. The lenses are simple and lack electronics. Keep it from getting soaked and it should do fine.

I've shot in rain often with un-weather sealed cameras, just sticking to common sense, keeping them out of the rain as much as possible, and wiping them off when they got wet. I've yet to experience a problem.

thrice

I used the M9 a lot in the rain in New Zealand, the only thing I recommend is a hood to avoid droplets on the lens and give it a wipe now and then.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm another member of the Pacific NorthWET where rain is a given for much of the year (well, that's what we tell outsiders :) ). My recommendation is to always carry a small hand towel and use it to keep any water that does get on the camera from getting into it or the lens. I just pat down the camera/lens which picks up most of the water and you can keep on shooting. I use these with all of my cameras and they are a lot better than things like lens cloths for this purpose.

Otherwise just follow the rest of the advice here.