The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

why is the 50mm so perfect on M9?

Godfrey

... I'm currently putting the Pentax 645D body through its paces with most of the original production FA Af 645 lenses. Some teathing pains at first with the lenses on the body, but things are sorting themselves out nicely. ...
I agree: Pentax' best cameras were the 645 and 6x7 line, which had a deep following in the professional community.

I came to the 645 somewhat late in the game and didn't use it as much as I had my other medium format film cameras (Rolleiflexes, Hassleflatz, Mamiya, Fuji, etc), but it was a real sweetheart of a camera. I waited and waited for a digital 645 to appear but realized at some point that I just didn't need the format and sold out on the lenses and other equipment.

I tend to prefer smaller formats these days. And a normal lens always has a place in my kit and proves to be my most used lens, most of the time, just to get back to the topic.

AGeoJO

I agree that FL between 40 and 50mm offers approximately the same angle of view of our eyesight and a natural perspective rendition, making it the natural choice to start with that focal length first. Later on after using it a while you warm up more and more to that lens and you enjoy the images it generates. However, things changed in my situation. I wanted the new 35mm lux ASPH II badly. It took me awhile to get one and deliberately, I started using my new lens more over the 50mm lux ASPH. Originally, I simply wanted to justify the cost of the new lens but later on, I started enjoying the images of the new lens and it has become more used than the 50mm counterpart. So, a possible psychological effect may play a role, at least with me in my decision. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the 50mm lens even now but I just prefer 35mm right now and things may change in the future. It is just whatever you feel comfortable with and enjoy, I guess.

J

Jeff Day

In a recent trip to Turkey I took my Leica 50/2 cron, 18/3.8, SEM, and my 90/2.8 Elmarit. I ended up using the 50/2 cron exclusively on my M9, the images just looked 'right' to me. The only thing more I could have asked for is a faster 50, so perhaps there is nocti or sumi in my future.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I think the difference has to do with the larger viewfinder compared to a DSLR. It feels more intimate.

Personally, I prefer a 35mm in that it allows me to get in a little closer and the images become more intimate, with a connection to the subject. But occasionally I wonder if I should get a 50mm so I don't have to get in quite so close.

I also feel 35mm is a more natural focal length (being equal to the width of the frame). But for most practical purposes the difference is rather minor.

D&A

What I also find interesting is that the 50mm for a while, fell out of favor with SLR (DSLR's) users for a variety of reasons. The zoom lens had taken over covering this focal length with amateurs and also when DSLR's were first introduced, the 50mm essentually became a 75mm.

The 50mm with RF users was very popular (next to the 35mm) but when the Epson RD1 came on the scene, the 50mm once again became a 75mm and on the original M8, became a 65mm. Those that regulary used a 50mm with their film RF bodies, found the 50mm wasn't used as often. Once the full frame M9 came on the scene, the 50mm has slowly picked up where it left off. Some of the same thing has happened with full frame DSLR's although I believe not to the same extent.

It's a great focal length that can add a bit of intimacy to a subject, yet take in the surrounding "variables". Just some personal thoughts.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I suspect it has something to do with the "Trinity of Leica Photography" - Pixie Dust, Unicorns, and a Red dot... I love my Zeiss ZM 50/2 Planar. Best value in a M-mount 50 and "best" 50mm with the notable exceptions of the 50 Summilux and Noctilux IMO.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Am I the only person who can't use a 50mm? A 28mm lives on the M9 by default with rare use of the 75mm. My eye is caught either by a detail, or by a wide sweep.

Matt

Godfrey

I bet one could sell the pixie dust and unicorns off for at least enough to pay for the red dot.
This is getting a little too deep ... There's a metaphysical issue to deal with that will take too long to write up!

BTW, I ordered the A12 50mm f/2.5 Macro camera module for the GXR today...

:)

"Possibly part of the explanation is that the rangefinder is ´optimized´ for 50 lenses: that light frame is the easiest to see and use of them all, with just enough air outside the frame to see what´s happening around the subject. Also, the Rf mechanism is made for 50 mm; all other focal lengths have differential focussing helicoids that ´translate´ the movement of the glass to that of a 50 mm lens, but the 50 just uses the rear edge of the optical unit. And less mechanics should feel smoother and mean less risk for misadjustment."
I agree with Per. With the .69X rangefinder, the 50 mm framelines are
very nice, leaving enough "out of frame" to allow the moving into frame aspect of RF shooting to work well. In fact, if I could get an uncluttered 50 frame, without the 75, I'd be tempted to go a la carte, (even though I love my 75 lux). best....Peter