The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Noct .95 too big for everyday?

gooomz

any .95 users find that the lens is just too big for everyday usage?

or is the size something you can get used to.

trying to decide between the 50mm summilux asph and the noct .95

J

Jeff Day

I don't think the Nocti is too big to use everyday. On a trip to Seattle a while back I was able to use a Nocti on my M9 for a while and found it to have a smaller & lighter feel to it than I had expected. Much more so than my CV Nocton 50/1.1 which surprised me. If I could afford it at the moment, I'd do it in a moment and use it as my daily shooter.

Best,

Jeff

silverlight99

If you're coming from DSLR world, absolutely no problem :) I suspect if you had both lenses over time you'd probably gravitate to the 50 Lux given its so much smaller/lighter for everyday use. I find it's faster to focus with (smaller focus ring), and has better balance on the camera. Also, during the daytime walking around in brighter light need to be using an ND filter to be shooting wider than 1.4 I find as well. Having said that, the Noct is an awesome lens (both the .95 and the 1.0) and can create some really special images wide open. So depends entirely on your style of shooting and what you like to create - if the super shallow DOF is a big draw, and lower light situations, the Noct is remarkable and hard to beat (and hard to find!), but as a lens that spends the majority of time on my camera, is the 50 Lux (and 35 Lux as well), with the Noct's for special occasions. Just my 2c

rcerick

It was for me. I already owned the 50mm Lux ASPH FLE, which is a fantastic lens and not very large or heavy, when I bought a Nocti 1.0. The Nocti was enormous and very heavy for me to tote around (it overwhelmed my M9 body in terms of its weight and balance), but that's just one man's opinion. It did have pretty amazing painterly qualities, but was much more difficult to focus properly than the 50 Lux ASPH FLE.
I kept on the search for more speed and then bought a CV 50mm Nokton 1.1, which I love. Although it looks almost as large as the Noct 1.0, it is considerably lighter and in fact smaller as well. It also has great build quality and IQ, most importantly.
Rich

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Yes...unless you want to concentrate on available light or selective focus as your primary style. The Noct is designed without much compromise to shoot at f2.8 or wider. It is big ,heavy and has a very long throw...made for precise but slow focusing.

The 50 lux asph is generally regarded as one of the very best M lenses. It is small,fast to focus and renders most subjects in a beautiful way. You will not find many complaints about the 50 asph except you can t find one.

I use both and much prefer the Noct for available light work ..evenings etc. But I am always sorry if I don t take the 50 lux asph on a trip.

Before the prices became crazy you could have a Noct and a Summicron as a pair .

Also realize that shooting a Noct wide open takes quite a bit of practice to achieve a decent in focus hit ratio. And you need perfect calibration.

gooomz

i was thinking, since the noct .95 is so much larger then the summilux, even though the noct is 1 and 1/6 stops faster, doesn't one have to account for increase camera shake when shooting with the noct thus slowing the noct speed a bit?

a would think in general one could gain about 1 stop by shooting with the lightweight summilux over the .95 noct.

David K

Workshop Member
i was thinking, since the noct .95 is so much larger then the summilux, even though the noct is 1 and 1/6 stops faster, doesn't one have to account for increase camera shake when shooting with the noct thus slowing the noct speed a bit?

a would think in general one could gain about 1 stop by shooting with the lightweight summilux over the .95 noct.
If your technique is good this should not be an issue. I know a few experienced M shooters who can consistently shoot at shutter speeds so slow as to be mind boggling. I was fortunate to find a 50 lux recently and in the short time I've had it, it's become one of my absolute favorite lenses. I reserve using the 0.95 Noct for those special occasion shots but if I could only have one it would be the lux.

gooomz

technique could be good, but you gotta have more camera shake when shooting the noct handheld or at least more so then with a lux.

dannh

My experience is completely the opposite. The noct stabilizes the M9 quite nicely. I felt it was more stable than when shooting with a 50 lux.

Steve Fines

I carry the m9 on a shoulder strap. Really doesn't make that much difference which lens is on there - sure the noct is a little heavier, but in my experience the it really doesn't matter whether it is the noct or another lens on the body (unless it is the Perar 35/3.5).

During the day I've got a Vari-ND filter there as well to be able to shoot 0.95. It is somewhat addicting - weight becomes a distant concern.

Balance and shutter speed I think it are not an issue. Might be if one held the camera in a ready to shoot position for a day, but most of the time the weight of it is on my shoulder strap, and thus not really a big deal.

That being said, 10k into a lens I'm sure I could rationalize most anything, so take the owner's reports with a grain of salt.

jonoslack

technique could be good, but you gotta have more camera shake when shooting the noct handheld or at least more so then with a lux.
No - I don't think so, the Nocti is harder to focus wide open of course.

Whatever - I've got both, love both, but the 'lux spends more time on the camera, not just because it's smaller, but also because the whole camera is less obtrusive with the smaller lens; pointing big lumps of glass at people tends to startle them.

The other thing which is relevant to me is that the 'lux focuses a little closer.

So - I like to have both, but if I were forced to decide on one, then it would be the 50 'lux asph.

all the best

AGeoJO

No - I don't think so, the Nocti is harder to focus wide open of course.

Whatever - I've got both, love both, but the 'lux spends more time on the camera, not just because it's smaller, but also because the whole camera is less obtrusive with the smaller lens; pointing big lumps of glass at people tends to startle them.

The other thing which is relevant to me is that the 'lux focuses a little closer.

So - I like to have both, but if I were forced to decide on one, then it would be the 50 'lux asph.

all the best
+1

But I bought a 35mm Summilux ASPH FLE recently and it has started to edge out the 50mm counterpart as my favorite lens :D.