The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Copper Hill Cleaning System

edmund

Thanks Per -- anyone have experience with the wet cleaning system?

Im still battling some grease spots on the sensor and really dont want to send it back to Leica.

Thank you!

Double Negative

Not Available
I've been using the kit for a couple of years now; the one for the Canon 1D series - works on the M8 and M9 as well. The sensor loupe is a great addition and well worth it.

edmund

Also, what about using Visibledust's Smear away solution with the Copperhill swabs?

And how does the VD Smear away compare to the eclipse formula for grease spots?

Thanks again

edmund

Just an update --- I bought the full frame sensor package from Copper Hill and it worked really well on my M9. After many test runs... I finally got the method down and finally have no more spots on my photos!

Double Negative

Not Available
Thanks, Edmund! It's coming along... :)

Congrats on the kit! It does take a little practice, but once you figure it out - it's fast and easy and does a wonderful job. Between the 100 or so PecPads and bottle of Eclipse, you're set for life. Sometimes it does take multiple passes in extreme cases.

Ironically, once the M9 has "broken in" (and depending on the environment) I find that a couple of light shots of compressed air are all that's generally required for the occasional dust spots that creep in afterwards. I've had my M9 for almost a year now and the M8 for several years; I think I only wet cleaned them each once. I seem to have to clean the 1D a lot more, and it's a bit more difficult because of the deeper position of the sensor.

On some forums, there's a LOT of noise about sensor dust. I just don't get it. It's not that bad, and cleaning it is not a big deal.