The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shutter speed handheld M9

gooomz

what is the slowest handheld shutter speed experienced M9 users should be able to achieve with consistently good results?

1/15?
1/8?

David K

Workshop Member
There are a lot more experienced M shooters than me around here but I can do 1/15th consistently. I find the issue of subject movement to be more of a limitation than my not holding the camera steady.

AGeoJO

It depends on the focal length and external circumstances. With a WATE or 18mm ZM, when I take my time, brace myself and hold my breath, I could go as low as 1 sec (I did it more than just a couple times), for sure 1/2 to 1/4 sec on a consistent basis. If rushed, I would say it would be more like 1/8 and 1/16 sec. Again, using an ultra wide angle lens. Anything else is worse from that; the longer the FL the faster the shutter speed I need to get keepers with respect to shutter speed on a consistent basis. Subject matter and composition is, of course, a different story :D.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
depends on field of view of the lens, age, bracing, wind, and ability, and if you are judging the 5x7 print or at 100% by the pixel. I have rarely seen a very clean, sharp handheld image (at 100%) at less that 1/(2xfocal) from even the most experienced.
It remains true "my sharpest lens is the one used with a tripod".
So if you can tolerate a bit of motion blur, I am sure that you can hand-hold to 1/15 with just a bit of practice as long as you are not very critical about what sharp means.
-bob

250swb

what is the slowest handheld shutter speed experienced M9 users should be able to achieve with consistently good results?

1/15?
1/8?
A good photograph can be achieved even if its blurry (think of HCB and the 'Behind the Gare Saint-Lazare' photo), but you mean consistently sharp.

There are rules for calculating what is the lowest speed with a specific focal length, but they are guides, some people will naturally be better than others, and I don't think anybody is going to be consistent at the slowest speeds. So I would say the slowest speed where you should be able to consistently get sharp photographs is 1/60th. Slower than that it becomes more and more a game of chance. If somebody likes to say 'I can consistently use 1/30th, or 1/15th of a second' I think its more a case of optimism than the consistent and unwavering sharpness of their results.

So, anything below 1/60th needs a tripod to be consistently sharp.

Steve

A

a_summarita

with or without soft shutter release? it makes quite a difference, 1/15th-1/60th usually. :)

danlindberg

Depends on which lens I use. For sharp results I need atleast the following exposuretimes;
24mm - 1/15
50mm - 1/30
90mm - 1/125

thrice

1/4 with the 12mm Voigtlander if I haven't had too much coffee! with a 50mm I'm also around 1/30. I use a soft release but I'm sure I used to be better on the M6, the M9 has a bit more resistance/travel on the shutter release.

gooomz

for a DSLR, what is the slowest handheld speed possible with say a 50mm?

if the m9 with a 50mm is 1/30 fair to say dslr would have to be at 1/60?

gooomz

impressive indeed, but in general does a dslr lose about 1 stop of handheld speed to compensate for the mirror lockup and internal vibration when compared to a rangefinder like the M9?

Shashin

impressive indeed, but in general does a dslr lose about 1 stop of handheld speed to compensate for the mirror lockup and internal vibration when compared to a rangefinder like the M9?
Not really. I find I can handhold my Pentax 645D at about the same shutter speeds as my Mamiya 6 and my Mamiya had a leaf shutter. The trick is paying attention--I might have to focus a little more with the 645D. The single largest influence to camera shake is the operator (and what you think "sharp" is).

Shashin

Pentax 645D, 55mm, 1/50s, f/4, ISO 1600, 100% crop, handheld in some really bad light in a snowstorm today.

Last edited: