The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Huff: "Something that is coming soon..."

mjm6

Purely cosmetic... The sensor is purportedly the same, and there may be sapphire glass on the LCD (who cares? use a cover glass for $11).

Other than that, people are getting all wee'd up over nothing... just another way to differentiate your camera from the masses, in this case, the others who own a $7000 camera that isn't as exclusively limited.

That's not the reason I purchased an M9 in the first place, and never will be. It's a shame there are people that get that way over a camera for pity's sake.

---Michael

emr

Sorry Michael, but to me that sounds a bit arrogant. "Only I have the right motives for buying my camera." I guess you do realize that for most people buying a Leica to begin with makes less sense than for some M9 users upgrading to the newest cryptonite-diamond-covered jewel.

emr

Since there is no digital R10, not only did I save thousands of dollars on a R10, but I will not be tempted to upgrade to the R11.
BTW, didn't the Leica big shots promise something to use the R lenses on a year or two ago? Not much has been heard of that.

bensonga

I've converted a bunch of R lenses for the camera (Sony A900), and for the most part, they are working really well.

Certainly, the 5D approach works very well, (I used them with adapted lenses before getting the a900) but I like the a900 as a body much better.
---Michael
I wonder if there is a Sony lens mount conversion to Leica R, similar to the one available for Sigma cameras....

A dream setup....the ability to use my R lenses on both the Leica R8 and the Sony A900. I'm just not ready to consign my R8 to the dust bin.

Gary

segedi

Maybe he was referring to the NEX C3
<shudder> This comment made me think of a pink-chrome Leica lens :p

And the M9-P will interest me very much... when the M10 comes out and M9-P prices drop to what M8.2's are selling for now.

bradhusick

I really want the M19, so I am going to wait for the M20 to come out. M19 prices will drop through the floor. Should only be a decade or so. ;)

doug

I wonder if there is a Sony lens mount conversion to Leica R, similar to the one available for Sigma cameras....
This would probably mean no auto-diaphragm but that's no different from any other non-DMR solution. I'd be interested. Maybe we could convince David Llado (leitax.com) to look into this.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Leitax has the same mount conversions for Leica R to sony ...but they are a mount change out not an adapter. So any converted lens would not function on the R8.

A dream setup....the ability to use my R lenses on both the Leica R8 and the Sony A900. I'm just not ready to consign my R8 to the dust bin.

Gary

doug

Leitax has the same mount conversions for Leica R to sony ...but they are a mount change out not an adapter. So any converted lens would not function on the R8.
I asked Luis Guevara of sigmacumlaude.com if he has looked into converting the A900 to Leica-R mount. His response:

"Yes I have been thinking about the possibilities of pairing the large Pixel Count of A900 with the extraordinary Resolving Power of Leica-R Optics for my own personal photography .

Unfortunately , given the economic situation ,from a business stand point , we cannot afford to invest on buying a Sony camera just to explore its possibilities , knowing that it will only have limited market . However if you would like to send us your camera alongside a waiver of liability , we will be happy to explore that possibility on a custom basis.

If it is possible to make a mount replacement ,without modifying the body of the camera ,cost for a one-off will be around $350 plus shipping both ways by Insured Mail."

thrice

What you really want is something with the facility to meter wide open and automatically stop down for the shot, as the lenses do on a native body. I had plenty of crazy ideas on how to do this, but gave up eventually.

doug

What you really want is something with the facility to meter wide open and automatically stop down for the shot, as the lenses do on a native body. I had plenty of crazy ideas on how to do this, but gave up eventually.
I agree that would be preferred. With R lenses that means a DMR which is scarce, costly and limited repairability.

fotografz

I'm confused about how a M9-P might differ from the current M9. I can see the differences between the M7 and MP, but how might those differences translate into the digital M world? Clearly.....I'm not an M guy. :eek:
Gary, there were/are a number of M users that weren't thrilled with a painted M9 as opposed to the tougher and well proven black or silver chrome body. The whole notion of a weathered looking painted M with brassing may sound faux romantic until you go to sell it.

The other consideration is the rumored possible shift in direction that the next M digital may take with more electronic do-dads and stuff like touch screen and Live View etc ... which means a CMOS sensor if true. That may or may not be an advancement over the M9 depending on one's personal preferences for CCD capture, and lack of desire for techno-toys. So, this M9P may be the last chance to get a more durable version of a camera some people find just fine the way it is. Cosmetitic? Perhaps. More durable and longer lasting cosmetics. I think so.

Besides, maybe some have forgotten how beautiful a Chrome M is. I did until I handled one the other day.:thumbup:

-Marc

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Gary, there were/are a number of M users that weren't thrilled with a painted M9 as opposed to the tougher and well proven black or silver chrome body. The whole notion of a weathered looking painted M with brassing may sound faux romantic until you go to sell it.

Besides, maybe some have forgotten how beautiful a Chrome M is. I did until I handled one the other day.:thumbup:

-Marc
Exactly. I couldn't agree more on both of these counts! The painted M9 was a step back in my view because if you actually USE the thing it gets marked up pretty quickly. My chrome M's, including the M8/M8.2 fared much better in day to day use.

Ditto the sapphire glass LCD cover. Sure you can fit an after market stick on solution but I've had those glass covers crack before and the plastic films look horrible and ultimately gather dirt around their edge or lift.

jonoslack

Well, I do partly agree, but I think the black chrome got grey pretty quick.
I'm partial to silver chrome . . . . or black paint, but we all have our little foibles