The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

silly me, I purchased 1 75mm 1.4 v1 lens...

faneuil

Got a little ebay heady and purchased a slightly brassed good glass 75mm 1.4 M lens over the weekend..

I plan to have it 6 bit coded and CLA'd by Leica USA.
Can Leica USA calibrate it to an M9 and/or do they need my M9 when they do it?

monday morning guilt over purchase, but not a terrible price.
Prob will be up for sale in 6 months. :)

thanks,
Eric

bradhusick

They need the camera and the lens to do a calibration. DAG can also do this quite well. Search here for DAG's info.

The 75 1.4 is a very nice lens, but a bit on the heavy side. I would also suggest using the 1.4X viewfinder magnifier to get proper focus.

GMB

This is one of the lenses that I always think of selling but most likely will never sell. If you nail focus wide open you get the most amazing shots, and if you stop down it very sharp indeed.

Congrats! One of my favorite lenses. An outstanding portrait lens, just sharp enough wide open while not being too revealing. Gorgeous bokeh. I find mine much easier to focus wide open than I did my pre-asph noctilux which I gave up because I found myself reaching for the 75. I especially love it on film. best....Peter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Frankly I know this will open up a firestorm . I would buy 10 of these before i even thought of a Nocti to buy.

ashwinrao1

Man, I miss mine. It's really the last lens that I would like to complete my set....and I had one that I sold to Cindy F, who had it a while and sold it as well....it's a lovely lens. The only limitation is size, and yes, I'd take it over the original Nocti, but NOT the new Nocti....Guy, you need to get the M9 again to try one of those....LOL.

Best,
Ashwin

mikel

Frankly I know this will open up a firestorm . I would buy 10 of these before i even thought of a Nocti to buy.
No firestorm here. Two noctilux have been through my bag, now gone. Still have the 75 summilux.

I always thought the 35 summicron 'bokeh king' stuff was pretty silly, especialy when lenses like the 75 summilux were around.

Stuart Richardson

Congratulations, you found one of the best lenses ever made for an m mount camera. It might be biggish, heavy and hard to focus wide open, but the look it has is unbeatable. And don't think you have to shoot it wide open to get "the best" results either -- this lens is beautiful and slightly soft from 1.4 to 2.5, and very sharp but still beautiful at 2.8-11...I don't think I have ever shot it at f/16!

jac0224

Congrats! I've been semi-seriously looking for one for awhile now. I tried one out in a shop over the holidays (the guy wanted $5k for it - yeah, right...) and was blown away by it. Big? Yes. Beautiful? Definately!

JWW

The 75mm Summilux is a keeper lens for me. I had mine calibrated to digital by DAG and is spot on with my M9 (I did not send the camera in with the lens). No need for 6bit unless you want the metadata.