The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

75mm Summilux v. Summicron?

seakayaker

Denior, love your photographs in the 75 Cron Image Heap link!

If given the opportunity I will own a 75 cron one of these days.

fotografz

For the purposes you state, search out a good copy of the 75 Lux and get one that's 6 bit if possible. I spent over a year finding mine ... a late model German with factory 6 bit coding. In the process of selecting a M75mm I also sent for, tested, and rejected 3 different 75/2 ASPH ... including a new one. All of them needed to be calibrated for focusing, and when focused properly felt to clinical for my tastes.

So, I subjectively tend to agree with Denoir, and I do not agree that the 75/2 is like the 50/1.4ASPH.

The 75 Lux has some of the properties of the Noctilux other than bokeh ... like excellent flair suppression in low light with bright areas of illumination or spectral highlights. IMO, the 75 Lux isn't just a portrait lens, it's an excellent pictorial optic with a range of characteristics rather than the same character at every f stop.

It doesn't require being shot at a close distance to provide those characteristics either. When shooting really close I never use f/1.4, usually f/2 or higher ... but at f/2 shot close, the bokeh is beautiful. At a reasonable distance f/1.4, 1.8, and f/2 provide enough DOF and below f/2 gives you some additional shutter speed to work with in lower ambient when shooting at a distance.

I use a 1.4X Mag for this lens and the Noctilux. I shoot various f stops depending on the subject and lighting and haven't experienced focus shift when doing so. There is some CA but it is the type easily corrected in post, and isn't any more apparent than with some of my faster "modern" lenses.

Since there are plenty of good portrait examples posted, here are a few "pictorial" applications of the M75 LUX.

-Marc

D&A

Marc,

These (your images) are not only lovely photo's but illustrate more definitively that I've seen in a long time, exactly the way the 75mm Lux renders an image when shot at the it's open apertures (ie: f1.4 and f2). More times than not, I use this lens for pictorial use as opposed to portraits and I think for that use particular use (pictorial), it has few piers. When stopped down further, it becomes quite a different lens in character. Nicely illustrated!

Dave (D&A)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I have and use both lenses . Really two aspects need to be considered in the context of what you shot and what other lenses you have. (1) Rendering..the character and IQ attributes are what we typically look at (2) Handling ..balance,throw,close focusing,form etc.

I have had the 75 summiluxes since they came out and its a favorite for its beautiful color and smooth bokeh . Marc s images show exactly why the 75Lux is so well regarded . When you see a cloudy bright or slightly rainy day ...wow . You can dial in the amount of contrast required .

I do think the 75 summicron is like the 50 lux asph (not quite as nice) but they were designed as a pair (unless my memory is shot). If you want stronger color,contrast the 75 summicron is superb.

But its in the handling that decides often which lens sticks (gets used). The 75 S is small,light and has a short focus throw . Its a snap to focus quickly . With practice I could follow focus on a person running diagonally across a street . For street work its very nice as it is small.

The 75L is large ,heavy ,balances poorly and is painfully slow to focus . Like a Noctilux .

Its really about what and how you shoot as which lens works best ....both are great optics. I use the 90 summicron asph more because I always have the 50 summilux asph on one body . A nice working set is the 21 or 24 summiluxes ,the 35 asph and the 75 lux . Those three on a rainy day are magic.