The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

good time to sell leica asph M lenses?

gooomz

will prices keep going up on used lux lenses and noct .95 or will they come back down once leica catches up with demand?

just wondering it is a good idea to let go of seldom used leica lenses now or hold on to them shoot them and sell them later.

thanks

gDallasK

You'd have to ask why you owned them in the first place - to make images with or as financial investments?

gooomz

i have a M lens or two that i dont think i will be using that much so thats why i was thinking about selling.

sometimes the less lenses the better. you wind up not thinking about which lenses to use or bring and you wind up just making use of what you have.
less is more sometimes. a one lens kit is great.

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
Well...the new Summilux 35mm f1.4 fle just sold for slightly less than $8000--60% over retail--on eBay tonight. If you have one that you are not using a lot, and if you think they will be generally available in time, it might make sense to sell it now, buy that Hektor you have been wanting, and buy the 35 f1.4 back later. You are still ahead a grand or two. (PM me first, please).
tim

bradhusick

Okay, I will sell my like-new, in box, flawless, blank paperwork USA Leica 35mm Summilux ASPH version 2 floating lens element lens for $8000 net. First come, first served.

AGeoJO

If the 35mm Summilux II FLE indeed sells for $8K then I would consider selling mine as well... :D.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I suppose one could calculate the average rate of increase in price of ASPH lenses against prevailing interest rates and determine on a present value basis whether better to sell now or sell later (assuming you are not using the lens and do wish to sell). But (i) I have never looked at my gear as an investment to be compared with buying a CD or investing in stocks for example; and (ii) selling Leica gear may be dangerous -- there is the phenomenon of seller's remorse where you sell something only to buy it back a few months or a few years later because you miss it. With prices rising, that is also not a good financial tack. The only exception might be lenses that are so scarce (hopefully temporarily)(35 asph FLE may be one) that demand drives up used prices even higher than new.

Last edited:

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
I wish somebody could give me the confidence that supply will meet demand in the next few years (and at my age we begin to look at a decade as a professional life time). I missed the first round of the new 35mm Summilux, so put myself on a number of waiting lists a few months ago, but the dealers I have talked to have been consistently disappointed with their own supply chain and have long waiting lists. I'm not there yet, but I just might wake up one morning and take Husick up on his offer.

In the meantime, I bought a very nice little pre-asaph f/1.4 35mm Summilux and it has quickly become one of my all-time favorites. It's not the sharpest lens in my kit--especially wide open--but what it does with color is magical.

Godfrey

i have a M lens or two that i dont think i will be using that much so thats why i was thinking about selling.

sometimes the less lenses the better. you wind up not thinking about which lenses to use or bring and you wind up just making use of what you have.
less is more sometimes. a one lens kit is great.
I like your thinking... :)
I would only sell what I didn't plan to use, or re-buy.

The "one-camera, one-lens" aesthetic still appeals to me quite a lot, for a lot of the time. It always amazes me how much you can do with a normal lens if you try...

segedi

A bit torn on this issue. Have a new (6-bit ASPH) 50mm Summilux and if someone offered $5000 for it... would be hard to turn that down.

But it takes such gorgeous photos! Which is the reason for buying in the first place.