The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Service.....Hooray

woodyspedden

As many of you know, I have been on a rant about leica service, with regard to the M8's, for the last year and a half.

Also, as many of you know, my shutter recently fried and had to be returned for a warranty replacement.

I sent the body to Sean Cranor at Camera West, the original supplier, and he took care of getting it to Leica and putting on the heat to get a quick turnaround.

The camera is back after only three weeks door to door. Now that is service worth talking about, both from Sean and Leica N.J.

Congratulations to both

Woody

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I bought a Canon ipf6100 from Sean and the first one sent to me (sent from somewhere in Memphis) was ransacked, no print heads or starter ink. Sean took care of the issue and had a new one delivered, not just the missing parts replaced, and took care of a trucking service to pick up the first one. I have purchased all of my Leica equipment through Camera West and the service is always over the top.

ecliffordsmith

Hi Woody,

Glad to hear about your good service experience.

My M8 went back earlier in the year and I too had a good experience.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Woody Thats great to hear and thanks for reporting back. Three week turnaround thru Solms is pretty great . :DRoger

woodyspedden

You know Roger I am not totally sure that the camera went to Solms.

Leica N.J. is apparently prepared to do the shutter upgrade so perhaps they are already doing shutter replacements as well.

I'll check on whether the unit went to Solms and report back.

Woody

I am glad hear that Leica is improving their service turn around time for the US customers. It has been a much needed improvement.

Mark

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You know Roger I am not totally sure that the camera went to Solms.

Leica N.J. is apparently prepared to do the shutter upgrade so perhaps they are already doing shutter replacements as well.

I'll check on whether the unit went to Solms and report back.

Woody
Woody One of the biggest causes of delays and lost communications was the trip to Solms. Even if NJ did everything in a day or two and Solms rushed the repair ....you used to lose 10 business days each way. US customers were at a real disadvantage because you would wait in a que in NJ ..then they would send the item to Solms to sit in another que. Either way (repaired in NJ or sent and returned from Solms) the result is 3 weeks and you didn t have to follow up to get it back. Does you shutter sound much quieter? LOL Roger

woodyspedden

Whoops!

Looks like I spoke too soon!!! Damn!

Shutter now works great but they managed somehow to screw up the lens mount and half of my lenses won't stay locked in place!! Damn.

This has been one of the really bad things about Leica service. Read the LUF threads and a great many products come back from Leica with the original problem fixed and one or more new problems generated. This is why the units spend so much time away from their owners.

Leica needs to work on outgoing quality to prevent these occurrences from happening. Bad bad impressions result. Certainly for me!

Sorry it again ended badly and now I can't praise Leica at all.

Woody

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Whoops!

Looks like I spoke too soon!!! Damn!

Shutter now works great but they managed somehow to screw up the lens mount and half of my lenses won't stay locked in place!! Damn.

This has been one of the really bad things about Leica service. Read the LUF threads and a great many products come back from Leica with the original problem fixed and one or more new problems generated. This is why the units spend so much time away from their owners.

Leica needs to work on outgoing quality to prevent these occurrences from happening. Bad bad impressions result. Certainly for me!

Sorry it again ended badly and now I can't praise Leica at all.

Woody
Woody What a shame...they just don t seem to think that running thru some of the fundamental checks after any repair is worth the time. Nikon has a detailed checklist that the run thru for "any lens repair" and they include the list with your returned item. Roger