The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Warranty extension for M9

atanabe

I was just on the Leica homepage and saw a new offering for a one yer warranty extension for the M9. http://support.leica-camera.com/fileadmin/user_upload/docs/Warranty_e_M9_conditions.pdf The warranty goes with the camera so if it is sold, the remainder of the warranty is in effect. Cost is 190 euros or $423 US at today's exchange rate. I think that Leica is the only company that warrants the camera on transfer of ownership. Funny how automobile warranties are for the life of the warranty and not ownership, while with cameras, only the original owner gets the warranty.

Double Negative

Not Available
Sounds like if there's a way to squeeze some more Shekels out of the user base...

Nevertheless, nice to have the option. Though I think everyone knows that things will always go wrong using the following formula:

(warranty period in days) + 1

;)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This is a good option. When I sold my two M8.2 s the new owners identified issues that I never saw ..since I rarely shoot at ISO 2500...the warranty saved me a bundle .

atanabe

Aside from Leica making more money off of an existing product, this is a value added item when selling the camera. As the warranty is transferrable, the remainder of the warranty is passed onto the new buyer. No other manufacturer offers this and is a good peace of mind for both buyer and seller in the transaction.

In reading the conditions, it looks like the warranty has to be purchased by the original owner in order to qualify. If you have bought a used M9, contact the original owner and see if they are willing to get the warranty for you.

Andrew Gough

Perhaps somebody can clarify for me, I sent an email to Leica USA asking them if Leica M9 warranties are transferable. I received the following response from Carmen.

"Good Morning,

Warranties are not transferable unless it was a billable repair that was serviced by Leica Camera Inc (Allendale, NJ). Please provide me with the serial number and I will be able to provide you with more information.

Kind Regards,"

Can someone point me to a place where it explicitly states that warranties are transferable?

Thanks

Andrew

Double Negative

Not Available
It does say in the extended warranty PDF (linked above) "The warranty is bound to the product and will be forward to the next customer if sold." But what about the regular warranty? I would imagine it's not, as the email from Leica seems to indicate.

bac

The email from Leica sounds to me like she was answering a different question since she referred to a repair. Perhaps try again with a very explicit question.

Eoin

I think the confusion regarding transfer of warranty stems from different policies operated by Leica Solms and Leica USA.

Leica Solms allow the camera warranty travel with the camera to a new owner, where as Leica USA says it remains with the original purchaser.

Well that's what I found out when I was selling my EU purchased M8 at that time.