The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m9 locks up

danlindberg

Today my m9 locked up twice. In the middle of an exposure it sounds as if the battery goes flat and everything stops working (battery ofcourse full). It does not matter to simply switch it off and then on, still totally dead. After removing the battery and putting it back again and then turning it on - it works again.
This happened twice of a total of 70 exposures. Not good....

Has anyone experienced this?

250swb

I don't know if its a similar circumstance as you don't say what you were doing with your camera at the time, but mine has locked up two or three times in the past 18 months.

Each time it seems like it was related maybe to changing settings, or firing off another sequence of images, while the buffer was still clearing itself. I'm not sure exactly why as it has done it so infrequently, but I feel it was something I was doing that initiated it (not to excuse the camera). And I know it has never done it while the buffer was clear.

But if I were you I'd check the other obvious potential cause and try another SD card.

Steve

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I had this happen once with an M8 -- not M9 -- and it was at the time some were having their camera just quit completely. It was after a rapid fire series in mode "C". It was cured by a battery pull and restart, and never happened again. Nor has it happened on my M9 at all. But I also shoot deliberately and rairely rapid fire.

danlindberg

I never use machinegun technique, but this time I did a quick series on seals that were being fed. No time to think. But instead of locking up I would prefer if the camera simply didn't take another shot until the buffer was clear.

However, it would be good news if it is the card that caused the lockup. I am using a couple of Lexar 16GB 100x premium series.

Any info on these particular cards?

250swb

I never use machinegun technique, but this time I did a quick series on seals that were being fed. No time to think. But instead of locking up I would prefer if the camera simply didn't take another shot until the buffer was clear.

However, it would be good news if it is the card that caused the lockup. I am using a couple of Lexar 16GB 100x premium series.

Any info on these particular cards?
I don't think you need to use a machine gun technique, I just used a bracketed sequence of shots (camera on tripod, all serene, no pressure) that just maybe overlapped each other.

But it seems there is some similarity in all three cases in that the buffer may not have cleared. So maybe you card is OK and it is a 'characteristic' (as auto manufacturers like to call design faults) of the camera.

Steve