The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Triumvirate is here!

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
You will rarely see this much fast glass together. Here are the Canon EF 50mm f/1.0, Leica 50mm f/1.0 Noctilux and the Canon LTM 50mm f/0.95
modified to take a Leica M-Mount.

View attachment 649

Here are full sensor images from each one on the body you see. The different FOV has to do with the 5D's Full Frame Sensor, the Leica M8 has a 1.33 and the Epson R-D1 has a 1.5. Each shot is straight out of ACR with defaults. The images were only resizes for posting here.

Canon f/1.0

View attachment 650

Noctilux f/1.0

View attachment 651

Canon LTM f/0.95

View attachment 652

The light in the room was on small drafting lamp on my desk and a little floor lamp with one of those economy 15 watt green bulbs. ISO 320 was use on the Leica and Canon and 400 on the Epson.

robsteve

Subscriber
John:

Have you tried mounting the M8 on a tripod and shooting the same scene with both the Noctilux and the Canon .95? It would be interesting to see if the Canon is actually faster than the Noctilux. In other words, use the same shutter speed and shoot both lenses wide open.

Robert

johnastovall

:)Not yet, I've just had the Nocti for 2.5 hours.:)

I may do that this weekend but tomorrow the Noctilux and I are out at 5am looking for light... :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Now that is some really neat looking glass! Looking forward to hearing how you think they all stack up.

johnastovall

I'll try tomorrow to get up a report on my impressions of the Noctilux compared to the Canon EF 50/1.0 and the 50/0.95. I've learned one thing if you don't want UFO's don't shoot with a Cut Filter at night. I got my 72mm for the Canon 0.95 and I'm going back to shoot it and the Nocti with and with out. But here's one of my UFO pictures from this morning.

View attachment 705

Note how they mirror the out of focus truck lights.

johnastovall

Comparisons delayed due to a bad cold and cough prevented early morning shooting. I may write up some observations on the use of the Noctilux compared to the Canon EF 50/1.0 after an other pot of [FONT=arial, helvetica]Lapsong Souchong with honey....
[/FONT]